wagner paint eater

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by .netDude, Sep 7, 2006.

1. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

Anyone used one of these? Can you comment on the performance?
    Amazon has mixed reviews - 2 one star, and 5 four or five star reviews.
    Thanks.

2. .netDude

3. silverbackMP

silverbackMP Well-Known Member

Why not just rent a fairly powerful powerwasher, turn in on high, and use it to take off the loose paint? That's how quite a few of the pros do it. Don't forget to go back over it with the power wash a quick second time with bleach in the soap hopper--kills any mold, fungus, etc.

4. .netDude

I tried the powerwasher, doesn't really work that well. I still had to hand scrape and then sand. (And I have a pretty powerful power washer - get too close and it damages the wood). It did work great for light, flaky stuff, though.

5. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Is there a reason you want to pull off every bit of paint that even a powerwasher won't remove?

6. .netDude

No, but there are sections (lots of them) that have paint peeling, when I hit it with the washer, it'll get a lot of it off, but leave some with a little still pulling away from the wood. I know that doesn't really explain it... That piece of paint that is left, I can use the scraper to get underneath and remove remaining section, but it still leaves a distinct edge between the paint and the wood. I'd have a bit of sanding to do even after the whole wash / scrape operation.
    On area's that the base is good, and the top layer is flaking, the washer works fine. But the areas that the paint is coming off to bare wood - that's the problem. Also have a bunch of spots that the paint isn't peeling, but it looks kind of like alligator skin. Almost like prior to the previous paint job, the paint had cracked and it was just painted over.
    I'm not trying to completely stip it - I'll leave as much base as I can.