Waddle fencing

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jackie c, Jan 7, 2005.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Does any one make and use waddle fencing? I was thinking of making some from the copious amounts of willow I have, to border some of my smaller gardens. If anyone has some info on making them or good web sites, I would appreicate it greatly. Thanks. :)

2. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

I've made more than a bit of it. It's one of those things that is a bit difficult to describe in words along though. Basically you need a jig first. A timber around the size of a railway sleeper (perhaps a bit smaller but that's what I use) and create a hole pattern for your upright staves to be set into. This pattern must be curved, probably about an 8" arch from end stave to middle stave. You want the curve because it pulls the panel tight when you remove it from the jig. If your horizontal weavers are thick enough split them but start and end the hurdle with a whole weaver (often times there is a whole one about 2/3rds up on the hurdle as well) this will make it much more ridged. Then just start your weaving. Start your weavers towards the middle and weave them in a basket weave through the upright staves, bending around the outside stave and back around, trying to avoid ending and starting at the edge of the hurdle.

If you are going to be moving these hurdles for sheep confinement or the like, try and weave a whole in the upper middle of the hurdle. This allows you to carry them by running a staff through the hole on several hurdles and carry them over your shoulder where you need to take them.

I hope this was of some help to you. Not sure if there is any instruction online or not. Best of luck.

J

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

4. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Thank you very much, very helpful info! :D

5. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I hope to make smaller versions to disguise the cement blocks I used for raised beds. Then everyone will be fooled into thinking I'm a French gardener!