Waaah! New neighbor!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cygnet, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

So I came home today to find a humongous white doublewide sitting 16 feet off my back property line. Setback is supposed to be 50 feet, and this is immediately on the other side of my pens, and they're going to have floodlights shining in their bedroom window whenever I feed. I work, commonly, 12 hour shifts with an hour plus commute each way, which means I'm often feeding the goats at 4:00 pm and then feeding and cleaning and various homestead chores have me up at night with floodlights on until 10 pm. (No, I don't get enough sleep most nights.) Due to the potential for rattlesnakes, I WON'T feed by flashlight.

In winter, I have lights in the breeding pens for the chickens that come on at 3 AM.

None of this has ever been an issue because I deliberately put all the pens as far from anyone as I could. That lot behind me was a large parcel, but the owner was forclosed on, and it's since been split and hence, new neighbors ...

And of course, when I'm feeding, the dogs bark, the roosters crow, the goats baaaa ... and sooner or later, I usually end up yelling at a dog, a goat, or both.

Can we say potential for conflict?

Waaah! I spoke to the manager of the local mobile home company -- he's my kitty-corner neighbor. Apparently they got a variance to put the home 25 feet off my property line because most of that parcel -- it's 1.35 acres iirc -- floods and that's the only place they can put the home by code. They're going to re-measure the distance to my property line but honestly, a few feet won't make much difference.

Lovely. Nothing I can do about it. Guess I greet the new neighbors with a bunch of fresh eggs, and pray they don't have a dog that will bark at my goats ... (my goats will destroy the fence butting it if there's a dog on the other side.)

Leva

2. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

Well considering that you were there first and then the neighbor moved in, I don't see where they have much room to complain. I would certainly take over a dozen or so eggs and maybe even some goat milk fudge once they get moved in to be neighborly & explain to them about the floodlights and why they are on, but if problems do develop, I'd tell them in no uncertain terms "Tough, I lived here first, you'll have to learn with it or move."

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

would you not have to have been notified of a varience on adjacent property? we get notices of neighbours three lots away when one is subdividing or appling for a build/varience permit. you were there first and are to code ,they are in conflict? hope you win but put your foot out now!! even if they say all is well that can come back to haunt you .every thing in writing and witnessed ,they will still fight later on .

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

i agree with ford, if there were a variance granted you would have been notified, being the concerned neighbor, i would go to hte county and see for sure, yes you could put up a stink about this, but
    who knows maybe they will be good neighbors....

5. texastami

texastami Zone 7B Supporter

Oh Leva,

I can so understand your pain!! I hope everything works out for the best!!! Its so hard to go through that!!

MY STORY:
    We lived in the country, where the lot had been split... our house was set on the back part of the lot.... with the other lot having road frontage.... our house sat so we could see the road and it was a beautiful thing!! We always hoped to buy the other "lot" to have it as our front yard, but I will never build my dreams on a "hope"..... cause the old bitty who owned it wouldn't sell it for nothing... (tried to tell me it had been in her family for years and years, when I knew that the current owner of our property had just sold it to her a few years earlier... (he hadn't thought anyone would want the old house behind it, and actually thought he woudl end up selling the back lot to her!!!) (we were leasing with the option to buy to 3 years....)

The rich old bitty would come out every other week to "mow" it.... Never really gave her too much thought to moving out there because she just wasn't the type.... she would come out with her diamonds on - (every finger) and her hair all done up and in her ritzy lounging outfits.... UGH!

I woke up on the morning of my 30th birthday to a very loud truck..... HAULING IN A HUGE DOUBLEWIDE.... She put it 5 ft from MY FENCE (right next to where I kept my hogs), demanding that I get RID of those smelly creatures immediately!!! and then had men put up a 8 ft fence around the 3 sides of her property... We had to share the driveway but she fenced the entire thing down to the end so there was no longer a view at all anymore!!! She tore up most of the grass and put a circle driveway in her front yard...... and even made me take down my mail box and put it over on the other side of the driveway because it didn't match her ICKY colored one she put up!!!! She had a horrible little dog that was a menace!!! Killed a bunch of my chickens but not according to her!!!

She put up these horrible pink flamingos, plastic deer and squirrels, and complained constantly about my goats, my dog, my cats (she fed them all the time!!) and finally my children!!!! She installed motion detectors on every corner of her property so almost all the time we had LIGHTS shining in our house!! The kids would ride their bikes up and down the driveway, and she would come out and tell them to STOP.... they were throwing up gravel at her fence!!!! UGH! It was a very difficult situation!!!

I just cried..... and cried, and cried.... she had a horrible rep in the community for being a nosey, mean old busy body... and we just ended up moving about 5 months later..... The house I had spent over 3 years remodeling and rebuilding, gone in a flash!!! but there wasn't a moment that I thought I could do anything to appease the woman!!! She wouldn't eat fresh eggs, wouldn't take fresh vegetables from my garden..... didn't want to HEAR, SMELL or EAT ANYTHING that was "farm fresh"....

He tried leasing it again, but no one could live with her..... Best I heard, house burned down - "accidental fire" is what they claim... and she got the back lot finally!!! So sad!!

6. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Videotape NOW! Get the noise on audio, get video of what is there. If you are engaged in a conforming use and it was an existing condition when they moved in then it it their tough luck. You may have to fight it in court but that is the nature of things.

Mike

7. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I agree that you should have received notice of a variance hearing. As far as the noise, if these jokers moved to a zoned rural parcel and then are surprised at the noise a real farm makes, they're SOL, in my opinion. And the law pretty much backs that up.

All that said, I think a routine gifting of eggs, chicken, or what have you is a good idea. You might want to order 50 of those wierdo Chinese hedges or other fast growing tree to start your privacy screen off this spring. You know what they say...good fences...

8. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

I agree that you should have had notice of a variance -- I think that that is standard everywhere I've lived.

I feel your pain. We've had the "neighbors from hell" next door. Three times it's sold since we've been here, and three times we've had to deal with new people who were inconsiderate, let their kids roam free with no supervision, a dingbat mother who was Peg Bundy all over again, expecting everyone but HER to supervise her three year old, and most recently, a young couple who wouldn't even speak -- even when spoken to -- just glared at you like you were the cause of all their problems.

It's just sold again, and sitting empty at the moment. I'm waiting to see what we get this time.

Check them out before heading over. My experience is that you can generally tell after a few days observation if they're going to be receptive to your "gifts" or not.

Good luck --

Tracy

9. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

This is where having a past as a wild child puts you at an advantage. I grew up in a biker household. Rode a Harley myself for a while. Am on very good terms with several of the area motorcycle clubs. A nieghbor like that moves in on me, I only have two words to say.

PIG ROAST!

20 to 30 Harleys parked down the driveway tends to have a neutralizing affect on busybody nieghbors.

10. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

Think positive - maybe they moved there because they like chickens, etc!

11. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

I would take a three pronged approach:

1. Check the variance issue and try to resolve through this route if it looks like it was not legit. If it looks like the trailer will stay where it is at, go to step #2.

2. Set-up a rifle range right along the fence line, parallel to the trailer. Monitor their property and every-time they are present bust out your semi-automatic AR15 and let loose at some targets. Better yet, if fully automatic weapons are legal in your state bust loose with a machine gun. ;) Expand your outdoor lighting set-up to light-up the rifle range so you can practice at night. Get some tracer rounds and fire them at night on the range. Proceed to step #3.

3. Go over and offer some eggs, pies, etc. Welcome them to the neighborhood...

That ought to really mess with their head. ;)

Just kidding of course... mostly.

Wayne

12. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

Tracy said "3 times it's sold since we've been here".

Tracy, next time it comes up for sale, why don't you buy it and then rent it out? That way you can choose who lives beside you plus make some money while your at it.

I know, I know, you don't have enough money. That's the way it always is. When we are young, we don't have the money to do what we want, when older and we actually DO have the money, we don't WANT to do anything!

13. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

When I first bought this property,had a guy camping on it that owns the next property over,I run him off.Well for years we were in to it,but we get along pretty good now.He is wanting to buy my place.

Funny thing about it every place I've owned the neighbors considerd me crazy,I named my price they bought me out :haha:

big rockpile

:D See FBI Men I am being good!!

14. ThreeJane

ThreeJane Me Love Your Face

Yeow, I read stories like these and feel very fortunate. I have five acres butted up to State Park land on the east side. Thick woods to the north and the neighbor who has property past that has (I think) twenty acres. His house is on the front of it, just meadows and trees to the back, where the property line is sharply turns into my crazy woods.

To the west, my neighbors who live in Seattle have ten acres, they come out once in a while to spend the weekends in the summer. They talk about building a house but currently have two (nice!) RVs on the property. They have a baying pack of hellhounds that mad-dog my hound to no end, but other than that, they are very cool and very concerned about dog noise, barking, etc. (from their dogs)

Across the road to the south is a neighbor who owns the property but hasn't done anything with it in five years, and probably never will. Our road (subdivision, whatever) doesn't allow mobile homes on the property, and this guy keeps trying different things to avoid stick-framing a house. Stuff like building a steel frame pole building with an apartment on the back, etc. So far, he's been thwarted every time.

The lots here can't be divided any lower than five acres. I got lucky.

15. Tracy Rimmer

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Oh, very effective... especially if you can get some of the more... ummm... "authentic looking" gentlemen to hang about in plain sight talking about the "club"...

Love it...

Tracy

16. Tracy Rimmer

Oh, how I would love to... if only I had the... you know.

Good suggestion, though -- I'll see if these ones last any longer. I think it's got something to do with the next neighbors down the road... even "better" than what we've been getting in next door, if you know what I mean.

What I really need is a really HUGE acreage in the middle of nowhere with my house smack dab in the middle. Only way to really deal with neighbors is to NOT HAVE ANY!

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Tracy

17. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I thank my lucky stars that I have very good neighbors. I live in the city full time & go to my country place(17acr) whenever I can. My next door neighbors have 23 acres & moved there about 5yrs before they talked me into buying my place. We were friends here in the city & they were the ones who discovered this little piece of Paradise in SE OK & encouraged me to buy my place, & I've been very gratefull since. Our neighbor behind us owns 5000 acres & is a rich, gentleman rancher who is also a doctor in OKC.I don't really think that this land will ever be subdivided, as it is hilly,rocky, forrested,not suitable for farming, & a long way from any good jobs. I'm going to be retiring there in a few years, & look foward to a peacefull time, spending time with my good neighbors.When I first bought the place 22yrs ago, many of the local people were wary, but my good friends had laid the groundwork for me to be accepted.They just needed to be reassured that I wasn't some City Slicker that was going to try to change the waythey lived. I have good neighbors here in my city neighborhood too, although as the neighborhood changes, we are not as close as we once were.My family has been lucky & blessed with good neighbors at both of our homes. This is a two-way street. There has to be give & take. For 10yrs I had Air Force single guys living next door. They were young,sometimes loud, & liked to have parties,but they were also respectfull, helpfull,& friendly to my family. If I asked them to tone down the noise they allways did. They've been gone for several years now since the house has changed owners, but I miss them. Welcome your new neighbors. Do whatever you can to help them,without putting yourself out,& try to get along.

18. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

Yeah, sometimes I think that with so many folks on this board, someday, someone is gonna have hissy fits about a neighbor and then find out that it's someone else from the board... :haha: :rolleyes: ;)

Maybe even someone who they gave advice to.... :D

(sorry, bizarre sense of humor combined with the knowledge that the world is a VERY small place)

19. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

I'm kinda thinking there are laws requiring the town to notify neighbors of a hearing for a variance. When our neighbors wanted one, most of the people on our road got notified and we are about 1/2 mile away. I'd start there and lodge a formal complaint. Even if the trailer stays, you've at least got something on record in case of future problems. If you've got a few extra pennies sitting around, might even want to check with a lawyer. If you can find one that isn't a ripoff artist, it shouldn't cost more than $100 to get some idea of where you stand.

20. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Maybe planting fast growing trees will block the light enough if it causes too many problems.