Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all im putting vynl siding in the rear of my house and im up to the gable. my question is how do i figure out the angle of the gable to cut the siding at so that it will fit. i only have so much and cant waste any. :help:

dean

·
Banned
3,303 Posts
You need a bevel square.Put the body of the square on the last coase of siding and open or close the square untill you get the angle.Transfer this to your siding.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Grab an old 2 X 6 block, climb the ladder, put one end of the siding next to the gable. Lay the block on top and draw a line. Can't get any easier. Save the cut off as your pattern for the rest.

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Just because I like to add additional words (?), place a strip of siding in its normal position with the corner touching the underside of the existing gable overhang, temporally secure it. Now place a uniform width strip of any filler material against the underside at the angle of the roof. Strike a pencil line. Transfer this to the material to be cut, it can be reversed to fit the other side.

Be very aware of mis cuts due to travel (vertical factor) and interlocking. This is where we separate the caulkers from the others. If you foul cut a piece just reserve it for the next upper application. But use it to determine the length that can be trimmed. Modern materials are very easy to trim but rather difficult to stretch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
moopups said:
Just because I like to add additional words (?), place a strip of siding in its normal position with the corner touching the underside of the existing gable overhang, temporally secure it. Now place a uniform width strip of any filler material against the underside at the angle of the roof. Strike a pencil line. Transfer this to the material to be cut, it can be reversed to fit the other side.

Be very aware of mis cuts due to travel (vertical factor) and interlocking. This is where we separate the caulkers from the others. If you foul cut a piece just reserve it for the next upper application. But use it to determine the length that can be trimmed. Modern materials are very easy to trim but rather difficult to stretch.

This is one of the things I do for a living. What Moopups has described is call scribing. Excellent method. Excellent explanation. All advice has been good.

Vinyl siding is like tinker toys , anyone can do it.

If you have trouble , pm me, & i'll give you a ph#.
skinner

·
Registered
634 Posts
Scribing method works for me every time, but sometimes it feels like you need three or four hands :rolleyes:

After you get the first piece cut, watch the next piece carefully, if there is a slight error it should be corrected right away so it doesn't get worse as you go up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.