Vonage ( internet phone )

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mike, Aug 30, 2005.

1. mike

mike Well-Known Member

Has anyone tied or does have Vonage? Pros & Cons? I am thinking of giving them a try but would like to see if it works for anyone here. Thanks. Mike.

2. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

I use lingo, cheaper then Vonage, and the service has been great so far. I even call overseas with it.

I love the fact that there are no contracts involved, and it only costs me $22 a month with unlimited local and long distance.

The only draw backs are ...

If you lose your cable, you lose your phone

If the power goes out you lose your phone.

We have cell phones, so for us, it isn't that big of a deal, but it may be a deciding factor for some people.

If you decide to go with lingo, let me know, I can send you a referral link, and we both get a month of free service.

Nikki

P.s. here's the link to their website.

http://www.lingo.com

3. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

I use packet8 for my VOIP. They were the only one who could get a number in the same area I live so local calls for people would still be local.

VOIP is good, usually free LD. They are not without isssues. They dont work if your broadband internet is out, They dont work if power is out unless you have a UPS on your router and phone interface. They may or may not work with 911.
    Since bandwidth varies over broadband you can get an echo or digtal dealy on call from time to time.

I save almost $50/month using VOIP I am willing to live with a few annoyances.

4. ChickenHound

ChickenHound Well-Known Member

Thanks for putting the Vonage song back in my head! :baby04:

Whoo hoo, whoo hoo hoo....

5. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

I tried vonage, and dumped it after a month. The quality of the calls was significantly poorer than a normal landline telephone. My biggest complaint was that sometimes it would take an extrodinarly long time for the calls to connect, and while it was waiting to connect, it would make the ring sound, even though it wasn't actually ringing. So the end effect was that you might hear it ring 4-6 times before it actually connected and started ringing the remote party. So if you didn't know this (you could only tell when it switched sometimes) you might hang up before the other phone actually started ringing at all. Once the call did connect the voice quality was usually about as good as a cell phone. Usable but not great. Oh and I had Speakeasy DSL at the time, which is an excellent provider, so that wasn't the problem.

6. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

We have Vonage and have been pretty happy with it. It's so cheap. We pay $14.95, with (?I think?) 500 minutes. It's $19.95 for unlimited, but we've never gone over about $16.00 a month for the amount of calls we make.

Quality is ok, not as good as a land line, better then most cel phones I've had. It will do weird things at times. Eg. I will make a call and the person who answers can't hear me, although I can hear them. That also happens in the middle of phone calls at times. Sometimes there is an echo. But, we're saving at least $35 a month on phone bills, so I can live with a few annoyances.

7. MarkNH

MarkNH Well-Known Member

I've use skype as an alternate line and to make free calls. You can reach other skype users for free and have conference calls. Voice quality is OK.

They have options for obtaining local phone #'s so that folks without skepe can reach you and also dial ability for something like 2 cents a minute which covers a huge area( US, Canada, Much of Europe ).

www.skype.com

8. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

I use lingo and am happy with it. Much cheaper than what I was paying for a landline.

9. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

Quality is ok, not as good as a land line, better then most cel phones I've had. It will do weird things at times. Eg. I will make a call and the person who answers can't hear me, although I can hear them. That also happens in the middle of phone calls at times. Sometimes there is an echo. But, we're saving at least $35 a month on phone bills, so I can live with a few annoyances.​

This is similar to my experience, but at times, the landline has it's own troubles that rival the minor annoyances with the Vonage. I believe that any problems we have are a result of bandwidth issues with our cable company. That has little to nothing to do with Vonage since they just rent the lines.

The hard part is when something is wrong, there are so many components to trouble-shoot, cable modem, router, phones, jacks, cables, etc. It was mind-boggling for me, but I'm not too tech savvy. ;)

There are a lot less taxes and fees thus far with the Vonage, and we have lowered our bills about $50/month. Everyone I know and love is a long distance call so . . .

10. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

We have had it for about 4 or 5 months, pleased with it. There are problems with the short blank spaces, but we had that before Vonage. I don't have any of the problems that Cfbabe had, must be something local. I never lose power here, we share lines with a big gas station, so I am comfortable with it. My cable company helped me the one time my router shut down for testing, so no problems there. $25.00 is what most ppl here pay for local, so it saves us big time. They will also give you the router free if you ask.
    BTW, if you get it, email me first, we can both get 2 months free.

11. mike

mike Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the info! Mike. :)