Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Fist City
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have a small group of Dorper ewes...Today I noticed that off in the distance one appeared to be, for lack of a better term, vomiting...Even from 60 yards or so away I could tell it was white...couldn't tell if it was frothy or not...she appeared to be whipping her head back and forth to expel it.

Same girl also has a dirty rear...I've feeling pretty guilty about not noticing this sooner, but been putting in 12+ hour days of late at work...dark when I leave and near dark when I return.

This is a young girl. She was born on March of last year and has never been off my place. They have access to clean water, but sparse pasture at the moment do to lack of rain...been supplementing here and there...a few days ago I offered alfalfa pellets...today I gave them such cracked corn which I used to lure them into the back pasture for the night.

Any and all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Sound just like choke to me too.

I found my ewes that were on limited long stem forage choked much more often, and on much less "choke-y" feeds (ie: oats).

·
Fist City
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Choke? Please elaborate?

I do not believe she has done this before, but confess with my schedule I couldn't give an accurate account of how long this has been going on...

The pellets were given Wednesday...the corn is given in small rations (probably a quart or two for all six ewes) so that they'll follow me into the back pasture at night.

·
Just living Life
8,280 Posts
Choke.... food gets stuck in throat... they foam, which can cut off breathing... then they die. I would recommend getting the Vet out.

Some sheep bolt their grains and pellets... one reason I don't feed my sheep, normal sized pellets....
Unless it is the tiny pellets made for sheep only feed.

·
Green Woman
1,957 Posts
Can you isolate her? Sounds like choke to me too. You could feed her in a feeder with rocks in it. The rocks slow the bolting of food... It's useful for most species to slow them down when eating... She may be hungry because she's competing (and losing) her attempts to get more food?

and when was she last wormed?

Good luck!

·
Poo Fairy
6,495 Posts
Choke, its a horrible sight. And you feel helpless, I stop feeding pellets, they eat it too fast and the pellets swell and get caught in there throat. I have saved a lamb before. But a big ewe is much harder, normally they can unstick it. But the helplessness drove me nuts, after talking to my vet he explain the pellets dilemia, and now my sheep only get loose grain.

Reactions: bergere
1 - 7 of 7 Posts