Volvo 240 help

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by shelbynteg, Oct 6, 2005.

1. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

The faithful 1982 Volvo wagon is losing its luster, but I certainly haven't given up.

Question: Door handle is not opening the door from the outside, this started with only one of the doors, now two of them are this way.

What's the most common cause, and easiest repair for this problem? Salvage yard for new exterior handles?

Thanks!

2. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

Shelby,

We drove a couple of 240s on dirt roads for almost 300K miles each. They lasted and lasted, but the door opening mechanisms did just like yours, would not open from the outside first, and the not at all.

You can take the interior door panel off and see just what is wrong. I got some junk yard replacement parts once, but in realtiy ended driving the cars with no interior door panels with baling wire repairs that kinda worked.

Those 240s are great cars.

3. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I used to drive 240s when married and little while afterwards but moved on to mostly trucks when living alone. Liked the lighter weight 140 series with old cast iron B-20 engine better but 240s were sold in larger quanties and more available.

Dang potmetal door handles were one of their quirks. Would break after lot of miles on car. All exterior 240 door handles are interchangable front/rear and side to side, but usually junkyard Volvos are high mile or have already sold off their doorhandles. Last 240 was sold in USA something like 1992 so all are high mile by now. I just fabricated my own doorhandles out of mild steel and they lasted indefinitely though not shiney pretty like original chromed ones. I even replaced keylock on rear door of a 245 stationwagon with one from AutoZone for an old Dodge. Under $10 and wasnt hard to do though I dont remember details now. Tough old cars. Enough room under hood that I once replaced a dead diesel engine in one with a Dodge slant six. Called it my Volvo Valiant. Kinda wish I'd kept that one, but gave it to a now ex-girlfriend and she gave it to her son who traded it for a Ford and wrecked the Ford. Who knows, it may still be driving around somewhere out there.