Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been following this story for a few days now and i heartening to see that there has been a successful outcome so far..

We at one time lived not too far from here and know first hand how bad the snow and cold can be.

The volunteers worked day and night in sub zero weather which at times the temperature was -30 or more. They will also be working through today and tomorrow if necessary to get the horses led 26 kms (16 miles) to a low enough area so they can be transported out.

There was discussion of using helicopters to sling the horses out, however the weather, terrain and health concerns of the horses ruled this out.

For those who do not know where [ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=McBride+bc&ie=UTF8&ll=50.261254,-111.09375&spn=13.748066,42.670898&z=5"]McBride BC[/ame] is, it is in the northeast area of British Columbia Canada and northern Rocky Mountains.

News story link here

and here

and here

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
I don't think people really look at what can happen when they turn animals out. Granted they may have turned them out during nice weather, but that doesn't solve the situation that is occurring now. We don't know reason their up there, could be they escaped. But, if the owner just turned them out to fend for themselves they should be heavily prosecuted. I don't necessarily like the idea of horse slaughter(only use as a last resort), but I think that alot of the horses that are turned loose are the result of high hay prices and lack of slaughter facilities.

Bobg

·
Administrator
20,273 Posts
unioncreek, slaughter is still legal in Canada. There are a certain amount of people that still winter horses is basin areas in the rockies but that doesn't mean they just get dropped in the middle of nowhere, the sites are chosen carefully. We've had incredible amounts of snow this year which has compounded the challenges these horses faced. I did hear mention that a hunter had left the horses behind for some reason but haven't heard any further explanation. Getting these horses out is a mere fraction of the battle, we're suffering a cold snap that is pretty harsh and it makes it very difficult to put any weight on horses, especially horses in this condition because you can't simply put them on free choice hay or they'll die.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
WR,

I forgot that horse slaughter is legal in Canada. Yes, we always had people turn horses out on the range, but it was always in areas the the snow was windswept from it. Yes, this year we've also had a lot of snow and cold early and weren't prepared for it.

Bobg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts