Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D Hi! I am Elizabeth1 and Carla recuirted me as the new FL. Please I need all who are members of this to please post here and help me all you can. I will start adding more info. tomorrow on the ninth edition and on the 10th as soon as I recieve my copy. Thanks alot, Elizabeth :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Great start Elizabeth! ;) You may want to email each of your testers personally introducing yourself as the new FL of Trees. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Blessings,
Kelle in MT

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:D Kelle in MT, Thanks I have already emailed the list that Carla gave me and I think you were on the list? Thank you for posting. Elizabeth1 :D

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hi Kelle and Elizabeth1! Elizabeth wasn't on the original FL list because she only recently became FL of Tree. But I e-mailed you, Kelle, about her.
Carla

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't get started today like I wanted to but Lord willing I will tomorrow. Had to take dd to the dentist and you know how that can go. Elizabeth1 :oops:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Elizabeth1, please make a list of all the Sugar Trees, Nut species, tree fruits, tropical/subtropical fruits, vines, brambles, and berries which have sections in the Tree chapter. You can start with the 9th and add from the 10th when you get it. Change the title of this topic/thread to something like "Volunteers Needed to Grow Nuts and Fruits!" and change its status from "normal" to "sticky." As each person signs up to either grow or to report on past experiences with growing or harvesting these nuts and fruits, insert ("edit") the usernames after the nut or fruit. I hope that will help get folks started posting on this topic again. Up to now, Tree hasn't been a very active topic. That needs to change because there are a LOT of recipes and growing instructions in your chapter!
Carla

·
Registered
960 Posts
We just ordered fruit trees from Stark Bros. We will be planting them shortly after receipt and will let you know our methods and results asap.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Started last night making list of the sugar trees, nut and fruit trees, will try to post Monday with page numbers and will list vines ,bushes and bramble. I will also try to get a list of reciepes by the end of the week.
Everyone please try to post as much as you can every little bit helps, and I think Carla wants me to start counting who post how many. It does't have to be on this post only. Thanks , Elizabeth1 :D

·
Registered
414 Posts
Nah, Elizabeth, it's not about counting posts. It's one count for every recipe that is tested and reported on, and one count for every how-to section for which there is feedback, comment, opinion, criticism, supplementary information. If they give the edition number, page number, and recipe name or how-to topic name so I can find the section again, it counts.
Carla

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will post tomorrow list of trees and reciept(sp) from trees. After that I will be going back through to edit on who is doing what. Please bear with me till tomorrow and help all you can. Elizabeth1 :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is a list of trees from the ninth edition with page numbers.
SUGAR TREES:
Maple p.418

NUT TREES
Acorn p.423 nan, beaglady
Almonds p.424
Beechnut p.425
Brazil nuts p.425
Cashews p.425
Chestnuts p.425
Coconut p.427
Filberts p.427 mamma23boys
Hazelnuts p.428 beaglady
Hickory Nuts p.428
Pecans p.428
Macadamia p.429
Peanuts p.430
Pinenuts p.430
Pistachio p.430
Sweet Apricots p.430
English Walnuts p.432
Black Walnuts p.431 nan, beaglady, ardguard, mamma23boys
Butternuts p.432

FRUIT TREES
APPLES P.433 kelleinMT, beaglady, ardguard,mamma23boys
APRICOTS P.437 nan,beaglady
CHERRIES P.433kelleinmt,nan,beaglady,mamma23boys ELDERBERRIES P.440 nan,beaglady
JUJUBE P.441
MULBERRY P.441 kelleinMt,beaglady,mamma23boys
PAWPAWS P.441
PEACHES P.442nan,beaglady,ardguard,mamma23boys
NECTARINES P.442 nan
PERSIMMONS P.444 beaglady,ardguard,mamma23boys
PLUMS P.446 nan,beaglady,ardguard,mamma23boys
QUINCE P.447 mamma23boys
PEARS P.443 beaglady,ardguard,mamma23boys

SUBTROPICAL AND TROPICAL FRUITS
AVOCADO P.448
BANANA P.449
BREAD FRUIT P.449
CARAMBOLA P 449
CAROB P.450
CHERIMOYA P.450
CIRTUS P.450
DATES P.451
FIGS P.451 ardguard,Elizabeth1
GUAVA P.452
JUJUBE P.453
LYCEE NUTS P.453
MESQUITE P.454
OLIVES P.454
PAPAYA P.458
POMERANATES P.459
PICKLY PEAR P. 459
ROSELLE P.459
TARARILLO P.459
VINE, BUSH & BRAMBLE FRUITS
GRAPES P.460 nan,beaglady,ardguard
KIWIS P.462
PASSION FRUIT P.462

BRAMBLE BERRIES
RED RASPBERRIES nan,ardguard,mamma23boys
BLACKBERRIES(ALSO NONE AS BLACK RASPBERRIES) nan,beaglady,ardguard,caroline00

NON-BRAMBLE BERRIES
BLUEBERRIESp.465 beaglady,ardguard,mamma23boys,caroline00
CRANBERRIES P.465 beaglady
CURRANTS P.465beaglady
GOOSEBERRIES P.466 beaglady
HUCKLEBERRIES P.466
SARVIS(SASKATOON) P.466
STRAWBERRIES P. 466 kelleinmt,nan,beaglady,ardguard,mamma23boys,caroline00
THAT IS THE LIST FOR THE NINTH EDITION. I WILL DO THE LIST FOR THE 10TH EDITION TOMORROW AND WORK ON THE RECIEPES. THANKS ALOT ELIZABETH1

·
Registered
195 Posts
Looks great :D Elizabeth. I can help out with the Apple trees, although I'm learning the how to's as well. Our neighbor tells us we have a Mulberry and two cherries as well, so I'll be looking at the info in the 9th ed. I'll compare it to other books I have and watch for everyone elses reports here.

I've grown strawberries for several years, but have to start anew here.
I've also had raspberries and didn't have much luck with them, I'll look and see what I can add if anything.
Blessings,
Kelle in MT.

·
Registered
414 Posts
In this chapter, let's make clear to folks that we welcome folks with experience growing any of these as well as those who plan to plant them new. Most are perennials and take years to get going. So a promise to post some feedback on what the book says about it would suffice!
Carla

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Howdy do! I will help out where I can. We have plums(santa rosa and damson),

peaches(red haven I think it is called, and elberta, and a white one that I can't remember the name of it..very very sweet)

Apricots, They take a long time to start producing. Don't give up on them. Mine took about 6 years to start getting fruit.

Cherries, I had trouble with the birds devouring my berries and I bought a net at an auction...actually I think it must have been an old soccer net or something....and will put that over the whole shebang this year to keep them off! Hoping it will work.

pears,

apples(8 varieties, some were here when we moved and 6 I planted when we got here about 6 years ago)

nectarines

blackberries

boysenberries If you want more boysenberry bushes...or blackberries, raspberries, or anything in that type of bush.....you can stick the end of the canes down into the soil in Sept. and then put a rock over it. In March you get a new plant and you can cut the cane off to leave about 4 inches in your new plant.

strawberries- mine love ashes. I sprinkle them with it during the winter. Never fertilize your strawberries after they start to put on fruit or you get mushier berries.

trying to grow raspberries for the second time now...

elderberries grow wild on my fence- and they love water. The grass always grows greener over the septic tank...and so do my elderberries! heeheehee! That is where they came up over. Birds love them so if you want to keep them all for yourself you can throw a netting over it. I seem to always have plenty though.

grapes- I started some grapes that a friend gave me seeds for. She didn't know what type they were but they readily came up from the seeds that she saved. It took a long time to germinate them but since then they have been going like crazy. My main crop is from Concord grapes. I make grape juice from them every year as well as jelly. Beautiful color!

and I think that is it for the fruits....

Nuts...we have lots of black walnut trees native around here

acorns are native here too..

Also have sand plums growing on treeish bushish things by the road that makes great jam and jelly!

Also.....persimmons grow in our fence row on pretty good sized trees.....

Let me know how I can help with any of those in my list. I have grown apples and peaches for years now as well as strawberries......the rest are fairly new to me within the past 6 years or so.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nan, I definely need your help. I am fixin to start adding names to the list and yours will be one. Thank you, Elizabeth1

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hope readers all understand that a TESTER doesn't need to be a full-fledged member of the Tree group to sign up here. Just having once grown, or currently growing, or planning to grow one of these is good enough. Even living where they grew (coconut palms...) means you know more than I do! So be bold and SIGN UP!!! :D
Carla

1 - 20 of 112 Posts