volunteer surrogate doe

Discussion in 'Goats' started by harplade, Jun 5, 2006.

1. harplade

harplade loving life on the farm

Anyone ever seen this? I'm milking three does whose babies have been weaned and removed from their pasture. Recently I put a doe and her baby in with them. I'm removing that doe at night, just milking her once a day and then returning her to the pasture with her baby and the other milking does during the day. After a few days of this, the head milking doe dried up, overnight. After close observation,we discovered the head doe is nursing the baby during the day and night while the real mother is milking him only during the day. So he is "double dipping" and obviously loving it!! Anyone ever seen a doe voluntarily become a surrogate while the real mom is still around? I think this is odd behavior and wonder if surrogate mom would do this for any babies (like a nurse cow) or do you think it is a one time, freak happening? If there is such a thing as a nurse doe, I'm seeing great possibilities for orphans and kids of milkers.

Thanks, Harplade

2. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

Yes. We had this happen last year, and it took us a couple of weeks before we realized it was happening.

3. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

yes in my meat herd some of the larger kids would steel milk from who ever they could, and many of the other does would let them,
    if you are wanting to keep milking take the kid away at night not the mother doe, your already moveing the other milkers to and from the stantion when you milk them just move all the does at once and then let the kid back out with the does after milking