Volunteer pumpkins

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ravenlost, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I couldn't believe my eyes yesterday. I have volunteer pumpkins coming up in my back yard (where the temp chicken coop used to be). Pumpkins in February? I doubt that they will survive so am thinking of transplanting to containers in the house until the weather is warmer. Think this will work?

2. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

you could do that, or cover them with straw .but I would either take them in , or build a little green house over them. that might work out well also. lucky you. !!!!!!!cool .

3. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

Raven, down here this is the time we plant for fall pumpkin, you are only about 150 miles N

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Really? I've never planted pumpkins before, but plan to do so. I've always just thrown the seeds from my Jack-o-lantern out in the garden and they always come up volunteer...that's my way of growing pumpkins! Guess I'll cover these and let them grow where they are (unless hubby wants them moved out of the yard). We're supposed to hit 30 one night next week...wouldn't want my pumpkin babies to freeze!