volunteer beans

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ajaxlucy, Apr 30, 2006.

1. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

I knew it was a mild winter, but I didn't expect dozens of beans to start growing where my (Blue Lake) green beans were last year. I guess I missed a lot of them at harvest time. I had plans to put cukes there this year, but I haven't the heart to pull them out right now. In case this happens again, is there really a disease problem with letting them self-sow from year to year?

2. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

If you have reasonably healthy soil, it probably won't be a problem this year. I don't think I'd do it year after year, but I've read that others plant the same stuff in the same spot repeatedly with no ill effects.

Wish our nights would warm up a bit more so I can get my beans in!!!

Pony!

3. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

The mild winter makes little difference. The beans are sprouting from fallen seed. The discussions of rotating crops and leaving them in the same area are very heated. I would let them grow as long as they are doing well. Or you could plant around them with the cukes and harvest a few beans before the cukes ever really are a problem for the beans.