Volkswagon Diesel Engine

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Torch, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    Does anybody here have any experience with Volkswagon diesel engines? I'm considering buying a 2001 Jetta TDI and would value any comments you guys could give me.

Thanks.

2. someday

someday Member

i have a jetta tdi 2002. what questions might you have?
    this car is the best i've ever had. i make long trips once
    a month and get between 45 and 50 mpg. cold weather
    doesn't effect it and i got mine used with only highway miles
    on it.

3. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

I was just curious whether the engine might have a bad reputation. How about the noise and performance? I don't expect something real quiet but I don't want to wear ear plugs either. I also don't expect a race car but I would like to be able to cruise at 80 on the freeway.

Thanks for responding.

4. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

Oh, and what about the A/C? Does it work well? The one I'm looking at (online at this point) is black. Here in Texas, black cars with weak A/Cs are no bueno.

5. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

The VW diesels are tough. BUT, many diesel owners know nothing about them, just think that they will last forever, & don't keep up the required maintenance. ASK for records of service on a used diesel. Diesel fuel in the U.S. is inferior & dirty compared to European fuel. I would suggest buying diesel additive, [ check at truckstops] & using it. Costs very little when buying in large quantity, & it keeps the injectors & pump [ $$$$$] clean.Also, if in a humid climate, keep the tank near full as much as possible.

6. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

We have a 2001 beetle love it!!! No problems so far and it is not noisey.
    The A/c does not seems to bother it.

7. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

"Diesel fuel in the U.S. is inferior & dirty compared to European fuel. I would suggest buying diesel additive, [ check at truckstops] & using it."

US diesel fuel has a higher sulphur content which adds lubricity which can actually extend component life. The TDI diesel is an excellent engine. Just make sure you use an oil designated for diesel when you do the changes. The premo oil for diesels is Delvac synthetic. Sometimes you can find it in truck stops. Otherwise call a Mobil oil distributor. Mobil 1 can be had with a diesel service designation. If you don't want to pop for a synthetic, Shell's Rotella works well and can be found at any Walmart along with Mobil 1.

8. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

Two local folks converted their diesels to run on straight vegetable oil. The veg oil is more viscous. The VW TDI engine failed when the shaft on the injector pump sheared off. The Mercedes is doing well. If you plan to run the car on veg oil, most folks say that mercedes engines are more stout and better capable of the job. Otherwise, go with a TDI, everyone loves them.
    ray

9. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

Don't know about the newer VWs, but I ran a Rabbit diesel till the wheels fell off. Great fuel milage, not a lot of power, and some things were a bit expensive to replace, like an injector pump, or even the battery. Averaged 45mpg day in, day out.

10. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

www.vwvortex.com

If they cant answer your questions,no one can.Its a huge site with thousands of members.

You will see threads of every possible thing that has ever happened to any model of VW.I know there are certain models/years that have an injection problem,not sure which.

BooBoo

11. mightybooboo

We see em on the Mtn here.They have no trouble climbing hills at all.They seem plenty quiet to me listening to them,and the power is good,I see em blasting down the freeway without a problem.Funny you should say so,but with a few mods,you can indeed race them.

BooBoo<----2001 Jetta VR-6

12. mightybooboo

2001 Jettas-

Passenger seat squeeks,ee-e,ee,e,etc.Annoying.
    A/c can be weak,heater fans can go out.300 to replace that fan,and its buried deep.The window power mech has problems but is a warrantee extension free fix.Right now a recall on the signal flasher,is an easy 18 dollar fix,just post here if it goes out,I know how to replace it in 2 minutes max.Watch that front plastic lower bumber,they are easy to ripoff on the cement stopper things in parking lots,park a foot away from curbs,believe me.This is a common gripe with these cars!

Dealer care is just plain awful,dont take repairs to dealer.As poor a dealership/corporate experience as imaginable.

Plusses-mine has been very dependable,except for windows/flasher I have done brakes and a wheel bearing,and a battery.78,000 miles.Comfortable and pretty rattle free for most part.EXCELLENT handling.Great brakes.Any engine besides 2.0 seems to have really good power(personal opinion here,I like brisk accelleration),they are fast cars(real sleepers,folks dont realize its a very quick,nimble car).Stable up to ANY speed you have the guts/stupidity to take them to.

BooBoo

OK,IMHO and YMMV,just MY thoughts on the car.

13. AprilinTx

AprilinTx Member

"Watch that front plastic lower bumber,they are easy to ripoff on the cement stopper things in parking lots,park a foot away from curbs,believe me."

BooBoo, wish we would've known this week before last when we did exactly that! :bash:

14. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

Update:

Well guys, I bit the bullet about 1 month ago and went ahead and purchased a used 2004 model Jetta TDI. I got the station wagon with an automatic tranny. I've been averaging about 38mpg in mixed driving. I would get better mileage I'm sure with a coupe and standard tranny. 38mpg compared to the 13 I was getting before makes a hugh difference at the pump.

So far, so good.

The performance is fine and the noise level is surprisingly low. The wagon is convenient too. I bought a Swisher 44" deck mower the other day and it fit in the back. :)

Thanks all for the feedback.

Torch

p.s. - mbb, you were right about the air dam under the front bumper. Very low.

15. mightybooboo

You will like the car a lot Im sure,I like mine.

BooBoo

16. mightybooboo

:bash: :bash: :bash:
    Make that 3 times for us! Dang those curbs! I see a pine cone in the road and its :eek: :eek: :eek:
    We have the suspension package,and it lowers it even more!!!

PS-You get pretty good putting the darn thing back together :stars:

Live and learn,LOL.

BooBoo

17. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

not mechanical conversion, but conversion from petroleum products to bio

18. Ryanstones

Ryanstones Member

Hi!
    I suppose this is as good a place as any for my first post.

We are very pleased with our '05 Passat TDI. We chose it over the Jetta for the 3-4" increased legroom in the back seat for extended trips with 4 mature adults on board. At 5,500 miles with no problems the average mixed mpg is around 34. I figure when the fuel price spikes REALLY hit it might be useful as a 'jitney cab' ferrying neighbors or picking up supplies in town on a cooperative/barter basis.

For our purposes the only negative so far is the lack of ground clearance on gravel roads.

This is a great forum! Thanks! :clap:

19. ChickenHound

ChickenHound Well-Known Member

No modifications are needed to run biodiesel. We run nothing but biodiesel in our '04 TDI. Mileage has even picked up on it, from 48 to 50 MPG. It's a fun little car for getting you to and fro!

20. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Do you yourself brew the biodiesel?

If so, what is that costing you?