Vogelzang Frontiersman Woodstove

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Honorine, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

I've been researching this stove, TSC has it for $349.45, today only special 15% off, makes it $299. Any other source its over 400, often over 500. This one has a one speed blower included. Its not being used for primary heat, and its being put in a funky spot, I have a three sided fireplace smack dab in the middle of my house, with the chimney going completely thru the house on all three levels, basement, main level and loft, I have a chalet style house. I just want to supplement my heat, and can't afford a very expensive stove, as I'm also going to run a steel liner up the stove and install a chimney cap. Also the stove has to be quite small, because of the size of the fireplace, has to be a certain shape and size, and this stove is perfect I know that its EPA exempt, not completely understanding what that entails/means concerning the performance of the stove, need someone to educate me. I've been reading Sancrafts saga about her Vogelzang and am wondering if its just not the best brand of stove to buy. Most importantly is a EPA exempt stove going to smoke inside the house, as this will be right in our livin room/kitchen area. Really would appreciate any input.

2. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

EPA exempt stoves mean that the stove is not air-tight, in fact it has permanent vents cut in the stove to allow enough dilution air for a fire to always burn pretty cleanly. This basically means 3 thigns for you. 1. The stove will be impossible to control, it will always be burning on "high" 2. The stove will pull in more air while burning, and this will pull in more cold air through leaks in the house and 3. You'll lose more of your heat up the chimney, so you'll burn through more firewood. An Exempt stove should not smoke inside the house, though.

You should really consider an airtight EPA certified stove. You can find them for about $100 more than the one you're looking at. I have a small Century stove I got at lowes for around $400, which is certified and airtight and is quite efficient on wood consumption.

3. Honorine

Thanks!!! I checked out the Century stoves on Lowes site, the small pedestal stove is $450 and too tall for my fireplace, nice looking stove though. Thanks for the clear explanation. I would prefer a better stove, I really want a soapstone one, perhaps someday. Since my house is a big drafty barn the fact that the stove may draw a lot of air may be a problem. I'll run it past DH.

4. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

What/who is TSC????

donsgal

5. shaycool

shaycool Well-Known Member

6. Honorine

Well I did scoot to Lowes to look at the Century and measure it just in case, it was too big, but definitely appeared to be a better built stove than the Frontiersman, which we decided to buy, for $299 and tax. I was watching one on Ebay, used and without a blower, it just went for $355 tonight, I think I got mine for a good price. I hope it turns out to be a wise purchase.

7. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I just took back the Mountaineer stove. It was horrible and my house still smells like smoke. I bought a little boxwood stove and it's purring like a kitten. The man at Northern says the Vogelzang's are good, but the quality control isn't. He has 50% return on them. The ones that work, work great. The ones that don't fail miserably. That's a good price. I paid $499.00 for the Mountaineer on sale.

8. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Keep us updated as to how it works for you.