Vitamix?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mwtslf23, Jan 20, 2005.

1. mwtslf23

mwtslf23 Texan in Ohio

Does anyone out there have any really good recipes for a vitamix. I am very interested in smoothie and soup recipes, but any recipes would be great.

:yeeha:

2. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

There are some recipies at their website vitamix.com

3. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Do you have the vita mix book? Mine came with a book about 15 years ago and it's full of great recipes for smoothies. I haven't looked for soup recipes, but there are probably a bunch of them in there.

WOW, I just noticed the date of this thread. I guess I'm a bit late replying... LOL

4. Dixielee

Dixielee Well-Known Member

I have always wanted a vitamix but could not justify the cost. Are they worth it? Can you really grind wheat in it? I don't want a $400 smoothy maker. Just wondering. I have heard you just drop whole tomatoes and spices in it for instant tomato sauce for canning. Any input would be appreciated.

5. Spinner

I love mine! Yes, I use it to grind wheat berries into fresh flour. I also make soup, ice cream, and lots of other things with it. I quit buying cake mixes cause it's so easy to make them from scratch in the vita mix. It replaces a blender, juicer, grinder, ice cream maker, and probably a few other small appliances that I'm not thinking of right now.

I think it's well worth the price. I use mine every day and have done that for about 15 years. I've only been grinding flour for a few months, but I grind some almost every day.

It's super easy to clean it too. Just put a few drops of dish soap in, put on the lid and turn it on. Dump and rinse. It's really that easy!

6. Okie-Dokie

Okie-Dokie Well-Known Member

We too felt our world would be complete with a Vita Mix. Finally stumbled onto one at a yard sale. Paid the amazing price of $5.00 for it. Contacted the company and they sent all the manuals and recipe books free of charge, even paid the shipping. The only thing we actually have done with it was make some smoothie type drinks for the grandkids. It has been setting in the shed now for 2 or 3 years.

7. Dixielee

Good to hear, do you think it would matter what model I got? There are quite a few on ebay as well as other sites. Have you had the same one for the entire 15 years? That is a pretty good argument for spending the money.

8. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

I love the Vitamix :)
    You wont believe it but you really can't mess it up for smoothies high speed, for soup low speed or else you will end up with foam!

9. Spinner

Yes, I still have the original. They area built to last! Mine has the stainless steel container, I think the new ones are clear plastic. I wish I'd have bought an extra stainless one when they were making them.

10. Dixielee

There are lots of them for sale on ebay. The 3600 I believe are pretty cheap and are stainless. Do you think that is what I should look for? The newer ones are plastic and much more expensive.

11. Spinner

I just looked at mine, it's a 3600 Plus. I don't know what the plus means.

12. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

okie dokie, I'll take it off your hands for 10 bucks, provided it works.;)
    I use mine very day, we bought it to make juice mainly and I do not buy vitamins anymore. Nowthat it is hot weather I make healthy icecream almost every day. there is just one problem with grinding grain, around here I have not found any grain. where do you folks buy grains?
    I got a pound of wheat once at an Amish store at the outragious price of over $2.00 and I thought that was too steep. But it did fine grinding it.

13. Dixielee

VITAMIXER 3600 AWESOME MACHINE.

You are Bidding on a Vitamixer 3600 . These machines are a multi-function machines. That do just about anything but wash your dishes.This machine is a Juicer , Soup Maker ,meat grinder, grain grinder, bread kneader and many more function. This machine is in good working condition and my wife says it need a new home because we have so many other type of electrical equipment that she would like to sell it so now is your chance to own it a a fraction of the list price . This is like giving away money but she say's do it.

This is the first time I have tried to get anything on ebay. My husband does it all the time, so wish me luck. I took out the link because I realized some unscrupulous person could bid up in my name....I could end up with a $1000 machine...AGHHHHHH. Anyway, I bid $50, will know this time tomorrow if I am the proud owner of a new/old Vitamix.

14. Spinner

Dixie, I'm glad you posted that you bid on it. I was thinking about bidding on it just to get the canister, but now I'll wait for another one to come along.

you'll have to have a second canister to make soap in. You don't want to make soap in the same one you put your food in. That's why I wish I had a second canister. I want to use it to make soap, and other non food items and the book warns NOT to use the same canister for both.

Tabitha, I get my wheat berries at a place near Rogers, Arkansas. It's called War Eagle Mill. I drive up there once a year and get a barrel. They give a good price when buying bulk. I think last year was around 40 cents a pound for red winter type, the white was a bit more, not much, maybe 2 or 3 cents more is all. Probably gone up this year. Ask around anywhere they sell the small bags, most places will give bulk prices if you ask them.

15. Dixielee

Thanks for not bidding! I did look at the page again and there is a 3600 container and lid with a current bid of $38 or so. It said no leaks, etc. There are several more 3600 listed so far under $100. I don't know how fast they go, because I have not been watching. I have a friend who said she makes tomato sauce by just throwing whole tomatoes in and adding a few spices, then cans them right away, no cutting, peeling, cooking....THAT sounds too good to be true!

I gave my juicer to my daughter because there were too many moving parts to clean and I felt guilty not using all that pulp. Of course the chickens liked it!

16. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

So what is the verdict? Outlay the cash for the 5000 super or buy an older model off of eBay?

Does the 3600+ really do the flour and all as well?

Help!

17. Spinner

I've never used the new 5000 super. I use my 3600 to grind wheat berries and it does a very good job. It will do any size I want, just leave it running an extra minute or 2 and I get fine bread flour inside of regular grind.

I think the new ones come with a clear canister. The 3600 has a stainless steel one so I can't see what's happening inside. It might be fun to actually see what's going on in there.

18. Spinner

So Dixie, did you win it?