Vitamin Supply Shortage A&E

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by bobp, Jan 10, 2018.

1. KandCfamilyfarm

KandCfamilyfarm Well-Known Member

Spring city Tennessee Dayton mountain Zone 6
    I'm sorry who's Kandy?

2. Bruce King

Bruce King Member

I don't know what you mean? No where in my post is the word "Kandy"

3. bobp

bobp Well-Known Member

The BASF plant fire in Germany made world news.
    It's a simple issue to google.
    Of course we will? But at what cost?

Nope they didn't... I agree with you... They got there with a very sharp accountants pencil. Simple math. Make it cheaper, make it easier they will come.
    When I was a kid some of the farmers I worked for made $$$ on theyre corn and beans by raising hogs. The economics quit panning out years ago. They can't raise in mid size fashion economically anymore. They can't compete with big AG's way of busines.
    There are a few producers with niche markets like Walter who are making it work.... But most mid size producers can't compete with Henry fords assembly line once Applied to raising the world's meat based protein. IMHO of course.

Walter this is spot on..... Price hikes could help drive customers to small producers. Which is a good thing.

Im not panicking. I'll order another couple of tons of feed, buy some kelp meal, and ride it out... I'm a very very small producer, I only posted the topic discussion to share a discussion on the shortage, because it WILL affect most small producers. I didn't post it to cause discussion about right or wrong.... most of us on here don't feel comfortable with BIG AG and try in our own small way to gain independence from the worlds way of living. We grow some portion of our families intake in what we think of as self defense, and a better way... But honestly, it's not seperated all that far. The labor is, the husbandry is, the housing is... But on feed... It's just not seperated that far...Most non GMO feed stuffs are being grown by the same folks growing the more productive products... It's a gimmick to make more $$$ for them. Ton for ton the non GMO corns, beans ECT don't produce as well they don't compete as well and they charge a premium for growing from seed stock they quit using 40 years ago. (Not going to argue here. Look it up)
    The shortage will cause commercial feed pricing to increase. Most small producers buy pre bagged feed. These folks will be affected.
    BIG AG will find solutions. Time will tell what they are, and how that will affect the food chain pricing.... But a ripple effect will be seen.
    BASF is a huge company and this was a monolithic product used by the entire world.
    This is could affect other consumer products such as milk (vit A & D added by law to reduced fat milk) and other products.

Attached Files:

highlands likes this.
  4. gerold

gerold Well-Known Member Supporter

BASF is not the only place that makes this product. I had no problem getting my product . Have enough stored for 2 years. Maybe the company will go out of business and the whole world will be without pigs. :).

Best,
    DT.

P.S. With all this bad news maybe you could provide an update and link to the BASF company. Where is it located? How much of Vit A is going to be short in the next two years? Maybe I will open a plant and make these vit. for the pigs. Should be a big chance to make hung profits.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  5. gerold

I was hoping to increase the price of my pork to some of my customers. Fat chance. BASF said they would have the A and E supplies soon.

highlands likes this.
  6. bobp

bobp Well-Known Member

Who else manufactures the raw ingredients for Vitamin A and E??

I have enough feed myself. But it's short sighted to under play this. BASF has they're hand in ALL the feed grade vitamins supply chain.

My suppliers mill.operator just warned me that they have enough to make to through march-ish... They are unable to order more as there's none available. The ripple effect will be there...

7. gerold

I don't remember who else makes it off hand. BASF
    SUPPLIES 35-40 %

8. KandCfamilyfarm

I didn't know this until just recently but I have been buying my feed from the same person for years now and it's just soy and corn. My pigs have seemed to survive. Granted they grow a little slower but a short bump shouldn't hurt any of you. just take the cheaper feed figure in the slower growth rate and roll with the punch until someone opens a new plant. I know it's probably outside of your comfort zone but it's life. I been raising pigs on and off for 16 17 year but I always still ask question and try new things. It's like this free rang thing I have never done this in the past my dad and granddad raised their pigs in a concrete pen 90% the pigs never seen light and we fed commercial feed. When I started thinking out side the box my dad offered no help matter a fact it kinda feels like he is working against me some times.

9. gerold

depending on your soil the pigs may be getting all the vit/minerals they need from the pastures soil.

KandCfamilyfarm likes this.
  10. KandCfamilyfarm

my soil is junk. my pigs have long wavy hair.