Vitamin Supply Shortage A&E

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by bobp, Jan 10, 2018.

1. bobp

bobp Well-Known Member

Have you read about the shortage of Vitamin A & E? Especially Vitamin A. Apparently the BASF plant that produced most of the feed grade Vit A had an explosion and fire awhile back.

2. Lazy J

Lazy J Well-Known Member Supporter

This is a major issue for the livestock feed industry. Feed prices will rise because of the astronomical increase in the prices of vitamins A and E.

3. bobp

bobp Well-Known Member

The ripples may affect more than we realize. This increase in feed cost will give cause of other increases.

My supplier tells me that have enough to get them through the first of March... But after that it's done. He's saying there's not anywhere to even order it from...

I actually mentioned Highlands Kelp to him...I said if he was still out by my next order I'd likley have him add kelp meal to my mix.... It's certainly a possibility for some?

4. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

proutdoors likes this.
  5. KandCfamilyfarm

KandCfamilyfarm Well-Known Member

Spring city Tennessee Dayton mountain Zone 6
    I don't think there should be a increase in price a good businessman would find a new resource without killing his customers because in the end the smart consumer will price shop and find alternative resources.

6. Lazy J

The problem is that there is not another source available. BASF manufactures the precursor need to make synthetic vitamin A, the precursor is both used by BASF and their customers to make vitamin A. Without the precursor you can not make vitamin A.

Wanda likes this.
  7. KandCfamilyfarm

I'm not saying make synthetically vitamin A just find something that is rich in the vitamins they need like highland said with sea kelp. A short list would be sweet potatoes, carrots, dark leafy greens, winter squashes, lettuce, dried apricots, cantaloupe, bell peppers, fish, liver, and tropical fruits.

proutdoors and Ronney like this.
  8. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Kandy has it in one. I used to feed all my pigs cooked swill which meant that they were eating pretty much the same as I was - and I definitely don't take vitamin supplements and nor should your pigs.

Largely I don't comment on the way you (as in Americans) rear your pigs as I know I would be stepping on toes and it's not worth the hassle. Commercial piggeries here rear pigs in the same way most of you do, the Homesteader/Lifestyleblocker don't. It's too expensive (we are not a grain growing country) and there is a wealth of food going to the dump that is more in keeping with what a pig would eat. I suspect that people have lost sight of the fact that pigs and poultry (not to mention rats) were once the worlds cleaner-uppers and now we're wanting to make a science out of it.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

9. bobp

bobp Well-Known Member

I don't mean to be negative, but there are few options here. There really are no alternative options. These supplements are used in most feed products. This covers the gamut of most commercially produced feed.
    This affects farm animals, dogs cats and other pets, ECT.
    ADE supplements are used in most everything.

10. bobp

bobp Well-Known Member

The scope of this is huge.

Think about how many broilers, pigs, feeder steers, turkeys, farmed fish ect are in our food chain??? These animals are overwhelmingly fed using feeds containing these additives.
    How are we to alternatively feed a billion broilers at the drop of a hat.
    At this time the options are slim....

And yes I get it some folks on this site have options and alternatives.... But most don't...

It'll be interesting.

Lazy J likes this.
  11. Lazy J

Bob, you nailed it. Smallholders might have options but the vast majority of the animal feeding industry, from pets to livestock, do not. We have been told that we will have a supply of Vitamin A through February but no guarantees for March forward. The entire livestock feed industry is working hard to extend the supply until the BASF plant is back online.

12. KandCfamilyfarm

IMHO maybe it's time for some of the livestock industry to devolve.

13. bobp

bobp Well-Known Member

OK? I can agree 'BIG AG ' has alot of problems.... But who would they delegate this to?
    Did you mean Dissolve?

14. bobp

bobp Well-Known Member

We can hate big AG. But without them where would we be? How would we feed the masses?
    How are we going to feed 7,000,000,000 people ? From small family farms? Please show me how this works???

Wanda and Lazy J like this.
  15. Lazy J

Would be nice if we all could get into the small food movement but our society has changed. The average citizen does not want to think about their food. Plus, what about the family in downtown New York that is miles and miles away from a farm?

bobp likes this.
  16. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

Careful of over generalizations. What you said would be like someone saying, "the way that you as in Ronney's rear your pigs". There is no universal way that Americans rear their pigs. Rather Americans rear pigs in many different ways, perhaps as many ways as in all the rest of the world. America is an extremely diverse society, or rather conglomerate of societies, a meta-society. Part of what is so good about it. And by America I mean Canada, the USA, Mexico, etc. This is something that all too many people from the rest of the world fail to understand. Generalizations tend to be wrong as a result.

And note I'm not even talking politics.

This is an opportunity for the small producers to capitalize on for gaining market share. Think different(ly).

-Walter

proutdoors and KandCfamilyfarm like this.
  17. KandCfamilyfarm

It is not a popular ideal but we could do like they did with the fishing boat I think it was in main. Were each farm is only aloud to sell so many head each month or year spreading the workload out, or we could be like I think it's Switzerland where everyone grows a garden and raises a few head of livestock and places like NY could just buy up the overflow. I am sorry if i'm not quick to scare but you see a problem and I see opportunity. I owned my land and home debt free by the time I was 23 all on my own with out a rich daddy or mommy.

18. Lazy J

I'm sorry but none of this post made any sense.

19. Bruce King

Bruce King Member

You're absolutely right. more than 99% of all USA pigs are raised in industry and as much as we'd all like to see pigs raised differently there's no way that anyones farm here could handle an order for a weeks worth of pork at a big-city supermarket. I talked to the mega-mart meat manager at a store near me and he said that he sells between 6 and 8 tons of boneless pork a week. That'd be roughly 110 pigs a week worth of pork. (assuming 200lb hanging weight, 72% yield to boneless, with some loss due to trim and waste)

20. KandCfamilyfarm

Basically when humankind has been faced with a bump in the road we find a way. IMHO they are big AG and didn't get there by panicking. long story short they are already arranging importing and outsourcing our work to china. Which in the long run they will probably find it to be cheaper and end up being another American business lost. Honestly I haven't even heard anything about this vitamin crisis.