Vitamin E cures goaty milk?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caren, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Caren

Caren Well-Known Member Supporter

Has anyone ever tried this?

I just read about it in Caprine suppies's Goat keeping 101. I have a goat that her milk is nasty She was in unsanitary conditions running with many other does and 4 bucks. I think her milk is getting better...but would this help at all? Also another paragraph says to feed the goat garlic? Go figure....

Caren

2. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Never heard of vitamine E or garlic for better milk.But milk picks up odors very easily.Billy in the area or smelly doe or milking area ect.
    And if garlic is fed that is what the milk will taste like.Same with wild onions!
    Make the goat ,cow ,or yak ;) wait one hour after eating strong things like that to do the milking.
    Chas

3. natybear

natybear Well-Known Member

What breeds do you have? My Nubians never have off flavored milk after eating wild onion or garlic. They were both in a grass field that a friend had. They were going to mow it down and disk it under but I told them my goats would eat it and they love it and they never have off flavors because of it. They are both anti-coccis so I was prepared to suffer on taste once and a while for their health, but found it to be unnessesary, because it didn't change. I have heard that some breeds pass flavors more than others though.

4. Caren

Abigail is a Lamancha Nubian mix. She is so cute I just love to look at her. Except when I milk her. When she figures your done she starts bucking and kicking unfortentley (sp) her idea and my idea of done are not the same thing. I recently added rings in the barn where I milk her to hobble her back legs. I hate doing this but I have to milk her for my soaps.

Anybody have any idea of goat treats? I thought about getting some of that goat grain mix for when she is milking... I don't know I keep forgetting it is still only her first week here and I'm not exactly an expert on milking goats ;) .

Caren

5. Caren

Hey I just milked Abigail and used my new milk strainer for the first time! then I risked a taste. Not bad just pee warm! I stuck it in the freezer to cool off faster! Now what do I do with my first 3 cups of fresh DRINKABLE goat milk??????

(Ya know my life must be really boring if milking a goat is exciting to me!)

CAren

6. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

You absolutely want to be feeding her when you milk. If any of my girls run out of food during milking, they get a bit "cranky". I know I've seen goat treat recipes around. It seems to me there's one in the book Goats Produce Too, vol. 2.
    Ruth

7. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Also store your milk in glass containers with a top. We give our does a few alfalfa pellets when they run out of grain. Also yelling "No" helps them to be still.

8. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

When my goats start with the "I'm done so you're done" thing, I use a different tactic. I give them a few bites that they will finish by the time I'm ready to start the milking, and give them the rest after I'm finished milking. I do that so they can get an idea what they're really there for, and that it really isn't so bad. Once they're behaving well without eating, then I feed them while milking to save time.