Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Premium Member
11,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at supplements for Vitamin D in order to get a larger dose each day more easily. Research is saying 40k IU is good so that is wat I'm considering. Does anyone in here take Vit D; and if so, how much and what have you experienced while taking it?

· Registered
1,525 Posts
I'm looking at supplements for Vitamin D in order to get a larger dose each day more easily. Research is saying 40k IU is good so that is wat I'm considering. Does anyone in here take Vit D; and if so, how much and what have you experienced while taking it?
This is the one I take daily, https://amazon.com/gp/product/B089M4GKHJ/ I haven't had any issues with taking it, YMMV.

For conversion 125 mcg is 5000 IU.

· Premium Member
23,117 Posts
40K iu sure seems high. My doc told me to shoot for 10K.

Reactions: mzgarden and Big_Al

· Still an :censored:
15,975 Posts
It depends on your goal.

If bone health then D3 with K2 even if on blood thinner.

· Premium Member
11,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ordered "Swanson Premium Vitamin D3 - Highest Potency" (250 gel caps) as a trial run for this supplement.

· Registered
4,590 Posts
Once more tme-- about ten y/a, it became the fad to publish papers that showed how various deseases are associated with low Vit D levels. It seems that just about all of them are...Two problems with this-- if low D is a CAUSE of a disease, then thiose whith low D should all be suffereing from more than one disease associated with that..But they are NOT....Secondly, if low D is causing a disease, then taking the extra D should cure the diesase, BUT, except for the obvious rickets/osteomalacia thing, no disease has yet to be shown to have better outcomes nor be prevented when extra D is taken.

BTW- real bad advice given above about Vit K2-- Warfarin works by affecting Vit K participation in the coagulation cascade-- at most doses it reverses the effect of warfarin. 'At higher dose it can enhance the effects.....Nobody with normal GI function needs to take ANY Vit K. The bowel flora provide us all we need....True, some studies have shown that osteopenia responds a little better to treatment with D + K, but there are risks if warfarin is also being taken... Blood clots can kill you fast. but, I've never heard of an emergency ostreopnia problem that requires immediate correction.

· Super Moderator
11,583 Posts
DR Zorba a local Doc here who has a Public radio show syndicated around the country states we get our vitamin D from sun light or supplement he recommends 2000 international units

her is an article on it , I recall him having a caller on the radio show years ago ask the question and he had this answer

· Registered
4,907 Posts
I think 40 thousand IU per day is an overdose that would put you at high risk of Vitamin D toxicity, a.k.a. hypervitaminosis D, and hypercalcemia which is a buildup of calcium in your blood which can cause nausea and vomiting, weakness, and frequent urination. Vitamin D toxicity can progress to bone pain and kidney problems such as the formation of calcium stones.

The usual daily recommended intake is 6 thousand IU daily. I have to take Vitamin D now after getting the Omicron variant of Covid last winter, (January 2022) and had been suffering several symptoms of both Seasonal Affective Disorder and Long Covid which the Vitamin D has decreased and/or put them into abeyance.

Doctor said it was safe for me to take 6 thousand IU daily but I won't do that. I take 4 thousand IU daily in the winter when I get less sunlight, and in summer I take 2 thousand IU daily.

I only take it at noon. If I take it at night it keeps me awake and hyper-alert to every single little sound including my own breathing and heart beat, or else if I can get to sleep on it then it gives me weird dreams that keep on waking me up, so I take it at noon instead. I don't mind being hyper-alert in the day time when I need all my senses functioning properly, and the Vitamin D also improves my thinking processes, my sense of balance/equilibrium and my spacial perception.

· Registered
4,590 Posts
DR Zorba a local Doc here who has a Public radio show syndicated around the country states we get our vitamin D from sun light or supplement he recommends 2000 international units

her is an article on it , I recall him having a caller on the radio show years ago ask the question and he had this answer

He's a typical perpetrator of The Narrative, for legal reasons. As a media "expert," he's liable for his advice in court.

The fact is, for extra Calcium to do any good, it must be taken with D AND you need to be taking it BEFORE you get osteopenic. Once you've developed the problem, the best that can be expected of the supplements is that they will slow further progression.of bone mineral loss. Even when treated with the biphosphonates, they put the minerals into the bones in the wrong places. Your bone density test score "improves" but it makes you more prone to certain types of fractures, and lowers the risk only for vert compression fx....

...and as I said, NONE of the other kinds of illnesses supposedly associated with low Vit D are affected at all by supplements.

Eat dairy and do heavy work/exercise regularly starting when you're yong and continue as long as you can. Then you don;t have to wonder what doses of supplements are best..

· Registered
4,720 Posts
Like with most things, I am sure articles and statements can be found for and against what I am about to say. I don't really want to debate it, I just want to share a couple ideas that I've read in my travels.

1. Mushrooms can provide us with vitamin D
2. the Sun is the best source for us. Ask any animal - ever seen them in a sun nap? Expose your face and forearms to it, but of course, don't burn yourself.

· Premium Member
11,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to all of you. I always value information given in these forums. And knowing so many "professionals" compete with what they say, I simply have to make up my own mind...not easy at all sorting out all the contradictory statements. That is one reason these forums are so helpful to me. Experiences of you all speak loud to me!

I did order a bottle of VD-3 and will start it gradually, increasing for only a short time; then tapering off again. Maybe it will be helpful; but if not, at least I don't believe it will do any harm.

· Registered
12,302 Posts
I take 50 mcg (2000 IU) of Kirkland (costco brand) of vitamin D3 daily, and have not seen or felt any side effects. Recently I had my yearly check up with blood test - Dr has not said anything about not taking it.

I take it because after having a sebaceous carcinoma removed from my face I take care not to get too much sun.

· Premium Member
34,824 Posts
Spend more time outdoors with as little clothing as possible.
Hmmm, 30°f here and heavy cloud cover. You'd get hypothermia before you'd get any vitamin D.

and as I said, NONE of the other kinds of illnesses supposedly associated with low Vit D are affected at all by supplements.

Eat dairy
There is no vitamin D in dairy products unless it has been added. Read the nutrition labels.

· Premium Member
34,824 Posts
I have been taking a supplement since I broke my foot several years ago. Before the supplement I never had a sunburn or a tan line, no matter how much time I spent outside.

There is no blanket answer for the necessity of a vitamin D supplement. Some people benefit from it, some don't.

· Still an :censored:
15,975 Posts
Once more tme-- about ten y/a, it became the fad to publish papers that showed how various deseases are associated with low Vit D levels. It seems that just about all of them are...Two problems with this-- if low D is a CAUSE of a disease, then thiose whith low D should all be suffereing from more than one disease associated with that..But they are NOT....Secondly, if low D is causing a disease, then taking the extra D should cure the diesase, BUT, except for the obvious rickets/osteomalacia thing, no disease has yet to be shown to have better outcomes nor be prevented when extra D is taken.

BTW- real bad advice given above about Vit K2-- Warfarin works by affecting Vit K participation in the coagulation cascade-- at most doses it reverses the effect of warfarin. 'At higher dose it can enhance the effects.....Nobody with normal GI function needs to take ANY Vit K. The bowel flora provide us all we need....True, some studies have shown that osteopenia responds a little better to treatment with D + K, but there are risks if warfarin is also being taken... Blood clots can kill you fast. but, I've never heard of an emergency ostreopnia problem that requires immediate correction.
I agree you shouldn't take K2 with warfarin/Coumadin. Otherwise it's OK and facilitates absorption.

My question does serum blood levels equate to actual use by the body or is it circulating and of unknown use?

Vitamin K2 and Blood Clotting. Is it Safe for Those on Blood Thinners?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts