vitamin b for weak dog?

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by waygr00vy, Dec 10, 2006.

1. waygr00vy

waygr00vy Sunny Daze Farm

Hi, i have a hound dog i rescued a couple of weeks ago, he was in really bad shape, dehydrated, exhausted, and didn't even have the energy to drink. I squirted water on his tongue with a syringe to hydrate him, and after almost 2 days of sleeping and barely moving, he began to get much better. A few days ago he was just as happy energetic as the other dogsa. Well, he snuck out and took off the other day and was gone for 1 1/2 days. I had put a tag on his collar so yesterday someone called, they had found him, and brought him back. The thing is, he is just as bad as when we had first picked him up, and he hasn't been gone that long. Just lied there, will not get up or eat or drink. Is there anything I can do, short of going to the vet (it is sunday and really can't afford emergency vet). I have vitamin b complex for goats and cattle, is that ok for dogs? I certainly don't want to make anything worse. Anything else that will help give him enough energy to want to eat and drink on his own? Thanks a bunch!

2. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

You can try giving him gatorade if you think he is dehydrated. If he is so severely dehydrated though that he just lies there- I would reccommend getting him on an IV though. Is there any other symptoms? Have you taken his temp? Pull up his skin and see if it snaps back or not to check for severe dehydration.
    My concern is it could be something totally different, since he was out by himself - he may have ingested something toxic, since it is a repeat so soon- it could be a sign of infection or organ failure. I would be very worried is a dog was very inactive and showed no interest in food or water, as that generally mean it is something serious. What about your vet? Do you have his home phone or can you find it? What about a vet that does home visits- even if it is a country vet? I think this warrants the dog being seen by a vet.

Keep us posted please.

3. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree 100%. It sounds to me that the problem is very serious.

4. waygr00vy

waygr00vy Sunny Daze Farm

well, just got back from the emergency vet. She feels there is definitely something more going on...he wasn't actually that dehydrated but was very anemic (he came home with LOADS of ticks). She did a blood test but I didn't have her do all the other tests she wanted to do..It would have cost $350 before any treatment, and I have a credit on my account at my regular vet. I am going to go to regular vet in the am, she gave me some blood samples to have my vet send off, thinking he might have some sort of tick born disease...Poor boy :( He does seem to be a little more stable, still no interest in food or water though...