Vita Mixer?........

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by dave85, Oct 17, 2006.

1. dave85

dave85 dave85

Anybody got one? Does it do all they claim?
    Thanks,
    Dave

2. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I got one.
    other than it being a pulverizing blender [you can shift the blade direction while its running for impact] I never did find any practical use for the rest of the hype.

My big blender does the same thing more or less, if the vitamix wasnt my dead grannys fav toy I would sell it. actually thats not even a good reason for me to keep it.

whats a used vitamix 3600 worth?
    lol

3. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I'll take it off your hands giving it a good home that would make your granny proud. It's my favorite toy too!

Seriously, a vita mix can do tons of things, including cooking soup, freezing ice cream, and is great for mixing up a cake batter or bread dough in a few seconds. There are some good posts around here somewhere, maybe over on the cooking & crafts forum. Do a search and you'll probably find several.

4. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I LOVE mine! I think I've had a fruit smoothie nearly every day since I got it for Christmas a year ago!!!! I throw in the entire orange, with just the orange rind removed, but leave the membrane, seeds, etc. Ummm! And healthy.

I've also made soup (too frothy for me), and ice cream a lot! I also use it to grind my wheat berries and have mixed bread in it. (Cool! Put in wheat berries, grind them to flour, dump in the rest of the stuff, mix it, pour it in your pan, let rise for 1/2 hour, and bake!)

Would have another in a heartbeat.

5. Marilyn

Marilyn Well-Known Member Supporter

I've had one for about 3 years now and absolutely love it - think that it was worth every penny. I made multi-grain pizza dough recently, great. I think that my favorits are the Raw Vegetable Soup and the Carrot Ginger Soup (that one also has tofu in it, but you don't notice, it just makes it creamy). Of course fruit smoothies are the best!

6. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Yes, I think it is absolutely worth it, and it really does do everything they say it will. It's not like any other blender out there. It does a terrific job of grinding wheat. I sold my hand grinder after I got the vitamix. It makes very good ice cream in about 15 second, so I gave away my Cuisinart Ice Cream maker. And delicious milkshakes. Oh yeah, it makes wonderful smoothies in about 15 seconds, so forget that silly smoothie maker. And it makes yummy salsa from whatever comes out of the garden. I've made soup with it a few times and it's pretty good, for a quick, easy soup. It's not the same as simmered-all-day soup, but it's easy and very nutritious for a quick snack or meal.

I LOVE my Vitamix. Can ya tell?

7. dave85

dave85 dave85

didn't get too much.
    Thank you for all your replies.
    Dave

8. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Maybe because it's Vitamix not Vitamixer??? They have a website: www.vitamix.com.

9. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought one and sent it back. the oj was nasty, the ice solidified and then made watery drinks as it thawed (so much for ice cream), and the cooked steaming soup is actually lukewarm. my 2cents

10. Northumberland

Northumberland Well-Known Member

I have one and love it, made applesauce with it twice this week, just take the seed portion out, leave the skin on, give a whirl with some water and cook, so good.

11. mwtslf23

mwtslf23 Texan in Ohio

It is a great toy. You can make hot soup, then turn around and make ice cream. Also, makes great smoothies!!!

12. mwtslf23

mwtslf23 Texan in Ohio

Why would you try and make OJ in a VitaMix? Unless you like alot of pulp...

13. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I hear they are nice, but I don't have one because:

The inventor was a good friend of my DH. After designing it he decided to patent it...couldn't afford the costs and came to my DH and offered him 50% interest in this venture if he would help him pay the patent fees. My DH being young and STUPID turned him down thinking it was just another mixer :Bawling:

14. Janis Sauncy

Janis Sauncy Well-Known Member

I bought one at a garage sale a while back for $25.00. The little old lady couldn't find the instruction manual, so I called VitaMix and ordered one. I asked the representative what they sold for new (they no longer make the 3600 plus) and, I believe, she told me new they went for around $400.00.

As for what they can do, I'm still learning (and, yes, Spinner, I have made the coffee cake twice now and it is very good).

15. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

I did tomato sauce in mine this year. Cored the tomatoes washed them and through them in the vitamix skin and all. Pureed it and then cooked it down to a thicker consistency, added seasoning and then canned my sauce. What a labor saver!

16. mwtslf23

mwtslf23 Texan in Ohio

You can make great smoothies, especially if you can get your hands on some Jamba Juice recipes.

17. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I made oj from the recipe in the vitamix recipe book you get with the machine. who wouldn't want fresh oj?
    Oh, and I tried to make carrot juice, by there recipe, and it was watery, and the carrots never got smaller than grated chunk size.

18. mwtslf23

mwtslf23 Texan in Ohio

I must not have the same recipe book. Mine does not have a recipe for OJ or Carrot juice. If you want good juice you should have bought a juicer.

19. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Like Tracy I used mine ALOT for canning (tomato sauce, chopped tomatoes for salsa, apple sauce) The labor savings for me is just awesome. My kids also love smoothies for lunch esp. in our hot summers. I really like mine and feel like for our family it was worth the investment. tyusclan momma

20. Terrco

Terrco Active Member

I just bought a vita-mix for my wife. That sucker will grind a volkswagon in 10 seconds flat. Much healthier eating, and no waste. She makes ice cream in less than minute.