Visitors...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Reauxman, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

Today while feeding the goats an ear of left over sweet corn, a van pulled up and two black males got out. Because the guy on the side of us sells firewood, I assumed thats what they wanted. I went about what I was doing and then looked up to see one calling me over. I went over and they asked to buy a goat. I told them all I had was a buckling and I didn't want to get rid of him, but if they really wanted him he was $60 live and $80 killed and skinned. They said it was too high and kept asking me to come down. I told them I needed him for breeding and they were welcome to stop by in the spring and I'd have some for sale then. I offered to take their number and try to find some and call them back. They needed it for today they said, they wanted it killed and skinned, the innards left in. They are from Ghana and cannot be understood 90% of the time.

So, does anyone have any idea why they needed a goat today? I assume some holiday. Anyone have alist of holidays? I assume if there are two of them here, there must be more. If so, I'd be interested in getting a few does to breed for that market.

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

There arent any holdiays I know of. I sell a lot of sheep to Mexicans and they like to have them for weddings and such. You can do a Google search for Islamic holidays

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

You didnt say what kind your goats are, but here a Boer will bring $100-125. Also here, its illegal to slaughter them and then sell them unless youre a USDA inspected facitlity. I get at least $130 for a lamb @ 80-100 lbs

4. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

I have just mixed dairy goats, but they are built nicely. I'd be offering the butchering free, the price for the goat would be dependant on whether they wanted it done or not.

I figure if they come back next year, $1.50 a pound LW will be the price.