Visitors to Wolf Cairn Moor

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Haggis, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I went out last evening to check on my cattle and our geese had called down nearly 20 wild Canadian geese to help in grazing our pasture. :)

I went out this morning to milk and notived the Peafowl standing on the barnyard bench were focused on something near them. I can imagine what was going through their minds; if a Peafowl has a mind. It's not a goose. It's not a chicken. It's not a dog. It's not a kitten. It's not a cow. :confused: :confused:

Then I walked out the door and saw the varmint and yelled back to Herself; "Bring the camera. There's a Bald Eagle in the yard!"

I had given the kittens a couple of wings to play with from some geese we butchered, and this Bald Eagle was eating one of them. Of course, when I made the mistake of yelling, the bird flew away taking its prize with it. Herself just got to see the varmint as it left the yard.

Bald Eagles and Canadian geese fly over a lot but this was the first time they've been in the yard for us to see.

2. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Well that sure was a nice morning!
    BooBoo

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Aren't they magnificent creatures? I frequently saw bald and golden eagles where we lived in western colorado, tho the goldens were more numerous. Usually saw them when driving down the road and would see one HUGE bird dwarfing the ravens around a road kill.

4. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

I never knew seeing Bald Eagles was a bg deal around these parts.

At work one afternoon I was outside and noticed a Bald Eagle flying around the back lot of the restaurant(there is a tidal pond back there that the neighbors ducks swim in)...quite cool but didn't know how rare they were aound here.

Anyway that is pretty cool about the wildlife dropping in on y'all.

5. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Too awesome!!!
    Right in your yard too. I would love to see one. They apparently fly through here in the fall, but I've yet to spot one myself. Hubby and one of his friends saw one a few years back down on the river.
    Lucky you!!!

6. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

There are several mating pairs of bald eagles around here and I love to watch them play over our field (highest count so far was 5 at one time), but if I saw one on the ground I think my first instinct would be to count the chickens, check on the bunnies, see if the dog was still around and then start looking for the children! lol

7. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

ummm...I have to ask. The eagle was eating a wing? or a kitten?

Meg :)

8. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

9. Stand_Watie

Stand_Watie Well-Known Member

That is pretty cool to see. You're fortunate to see that up so close.

We have bald eagles nesting on the lake near me. One of my neighbors who lives on the lake sees one roosting in a tree occasionally. I also see a Mexican eagle (see below, not my photo) known as a crested Caracara eating with the vultures on the road occasionally. An interesting tidbit I learned while researching the Caracara was that Bald Eagles are also not only 'noble predators', but equal opportunity scavengers as well, and one of the primary sources of their unnatural demise is being struck by cars while feeding :waa:

[​IMG]

P.S. I had a college biology professor who would get bent out of shape with you for calling them "Canadian Geese". He claimed that Canadian geese are any geese who are citizens of Canada and the proper terminology for that particular breed of goose is 'Canada Geese' :D Seemed kind of pedantic to me, but you know biologist types ;)