Visiting Orlando FL.-anyone from there?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Snowdancer, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

I'm coming to Orlando the first week in May-hubby has a seminar so I'm tagging along. :D
    I wondered if there was anyone on the boards who was from that area?
    I'd love to meet some of you guys as well as get some hints on places to see other than Disneyworld & Epcot. We plan on visiting Epcot and the Dark Continent but after that we're open to suggestions. Anything nature based or where we can see the local wildlife would be great.

I'm calling AAA tomorrow and getting the tour books but nothing like hearing about those out of the way places from actual residents.

Thanks & hope to meet some of you,
    Kathy

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I am no longer in Orlando but did spend 27 years there, Dismal World, Sea World, all the attractions are for suckers or kids. I suggest you visit the Kennedy Space Center located at Cape Canaveral, Florida. Its the one thing that should not be missed, an out standing display. The Bok Tower at Lakeland is also a good place to spend a day, Cypress Gardens also, the same area. International Drive was Ralph Worers cow pasture, I camped there, rode horses, hunted quail, ect. There were no porta potties back then, now it about $50,000.00 per running foot for road side property - guess where they get the money.

3. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Blue Springs, north of Orlando, has manatees and a boardwalk through lovely woods. There is a dinner cruise on the St Johns river that has lots of wildlife. These attractions show Florida as it was before "civilization". I'm not sure what I'll be doing by then as my job is ending soon, but could probably meet you for a cup of coffee or something. There's also a boardwalk/environmental center not far from Disney: Reedy Creek near Poinciana. If you do the Space Center a Cape Canaveral, there is a natural beach called Playa Linda nearby, which is unspoiled by any tourist trappings.

4. Donovan K

Donovan K Well-Known Member

Take a drive to the north and visit the Ocala National Forest if you are looking for something more natural than the attactions of Orlando. You can visit Silver Springs and take a ride on their famous glass bottom boats.. see the underwater life from one of the best natural springs in Florida, see the monkeys that live on the islands in the river there. There is also a zoo, I believe. Saturdays they have a country music concert with some pretty big names if you are into that.

Then you could go to the other springs located in the Forest. Juniper Springs is one of my favorites. Millions of gallons of fresh clear water flowing from the spring every day. You can swim, camp, hike, canoe, innertube ride. Nice family activities there. Check the USDA website for a link to the Ocala National Forest. There are many hiking trails, camping areas, etc to visit.

As long as you are in Marion County, call around to get a tour of one of the many horse farms. Marion County is the horse raising capital of the world and there are many many farms you can tour. There are riding stables where you can rent a horse for riding on the trails.

Consider a hop over to the east coast to visit the beaches of Daytona, etc. Between Cape Canaveral (and as recommended above, visiting NASA is a great idea) and Daytona there are many very nice beaches for walking, swimming, sunning, shelling, etc.

If you are a flea market person, there are two really good ones nearby. The Markets of Marion in Belleview and Webster Flea Market in Webster. Webster has one of the largest in the state, even though the town is just a dot on the map. Lots of fun if you are into that sort of thing.

When you arrive, check the newspapers for events. There are also so many events happening all around the area you are likely to find some sort of festival, concert, gathering, seminar, play, tour, etc you will find that will interest you.

Have a fun and safe trip.

Donovan

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    One thing of importantance that I forgot to mention before, avoid downtown Orlando at night unless you have a local driveing or guiding.

6. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

My brother lives in Orange City and parents have wintered there for many years. If you go to Blue Springs (very nice), plan a visit to Lake Woodruff NWR jsut a little north of DeLand. It is AWESOME! Saw an incredible # of birds there in more varieties than you could count and real alligators, not fat, caged ones. Sea World is commercial but we really enjoyed it anyway, esp with kids. My parents say that a lot of the beach areas are closed from the hurricanes so you may be able to go the Kennedy Space Center but probably won't be able to go out on the Cape Canaveral National Seashore. Enjoy the visit!

7. JoyKelley

JoyKelley Well-Known Member

If your here long enough and have a car, drive down hwy 27 and go as far as cleweston. There are as many out of the way places as you'd care to find on that hwy. There is an antique hotel that is open in Avon Park as well as the Cleweston Inn in Cleweston, a great national park in Seabring ( take food for the squirrels ) , Don't miss Bok tower as was suggested ( my daughter had her wedding there ) . I live in Fort Myers and it's 3 hours away but if you get bored, give me a call and we can "do lunch" unless I am gone to Indiana for the birth of a grandaughter .

joy

8. Ragamuffin2004

Ragamuffin2004 Well-Known Member

Right next to the space center, the shuttle launch site actually, is the Merritt Island wildlife refuge. When I lived in Rockledge (near Cocoa), I used to go up to the wildlife refuge all the time and go hiking. There are some very short trails there. Wonderful, beautiful place.

Someone else mentioned Blue Springs. That is another great place anytime, but best to visit in winter and spring because the manatees are there then in full force. You still might get lucky though. If not, try under the 520 bridge crossing over into Merritt Island for manatee spotting. If nothing else, you'll see lots of dolphins.

Are you driving down or flying? If you drive down, be sure to stop at Cross Creek (Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings' old homestead) in Alachua County, and Paynes Prarie.

In Lakeland, almost midway between Tampa (Busch Gardens) and Orlando (Disney), is Florida Southern College which has the world's largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright buildings. Lakeland also has an event called Mayfaire on the Lake, arts and crafts for sale. Polk County is famous for Bok Tower - a tower and gardens. Polk County is also very famous for being the intersection point for 3 hurricanes last year.

I'll think of some more places before you go.
    Connie