visited a meat rabbit farm

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Al. Countryboy, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Yesterday my neighbor and I visited a farm that raises meat rabbits. They were expecting app. 500 babies to be born this weekend and many does were having their young while we were there. They usually breed does at 8 lbs. even if they are under 5 months old. The does are rebred when the kits are 2 weeks old and the first litter is left in with the doe until close to time for the second litter to be born. The man said that the kits stop nursing at about 4 weeks old anyway and they grow off better when left with mom. If a doe starts to get thin, she is allowed an extra week before bred. Her feeder is kept full at all times.The rabbits are continually culled. The does are bred to have their babies every other weekend and the off weekend is used to take the 41/2 to 5 1/2 lb bunnies the a processing plant. We were able to buy some of his really nice breeding stock. We had a very nice time and got so many ideas on how a big opperation is ran and just barely got home before dark to feed my farm animals.

2. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh! I envy you that visit! :) Thanks for posting some of his thoughts on raising. Did he mention how long the breeding does stay in production?

Jennifer

3. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

that sounds like FUN, where is it located? did he run just NewZealands or did he make hybreds? or his own creation?
    how much did he sell for?

4. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Hey, the Rabbit Production Chat that dlwelch posts about every two weeks is another great day to get the down and dirty on commercial production...most of the people on there are large-scale commercial producers. I sure learn a lot.

5. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I also want to know where that place is. Where does he sell the babies? I would think about trying a commercial venture if I knew where a processing facility was.

6. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

For a list of the participating rabbit processors and buyers, just go to the PRMA web site at: http://www.prma.org/ . At the top of the page is a link for "Market Report/Processors" that is updated every two months. You will need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer in order to view it. A link to a FREE download is also on the PRMA web site... just scroll down until you find it.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee

7. Al. Countryboy

The farm is in Gadsden, Al. which is about a 1 hour drive from me. Daybird the man told me the name of the town, but I don't remember. It is in the north west part of Tennessee. I will ask. He goes there every other weekend and does take rabbits from others at a price of 10 cents a pound. I think that 10 cents a pound is reasonable with the cost of gas being so high. Rabbits have to be between 41/2 to 51/2 lbs. They give 95 cents a pound for your bunnies. For the most part, most of the does were NZ. I think that he had about 12 adult males. I think that there were 4 different kinds of males. There were NZ, Cal., Flemish giants, and one that was marked up like a Cal. which I don't remember what it was called, but think that it is a three way cross. I know that he has had some of his breeders for some time. As long as they raise at least 6 babies that grow off fast I think that they say with him, if not they are sold for 30 cents a pound. Since he is interested in some of my talapia fish I was able to buy one of his future brood does and my elderly neighbor bought a trio. :clap: He does experiment. He has two cages with 12 bunnies each that are on some kind of feed test. I also saw some flemish and NZ crosses; now those are some big bunnies with biggggg ears.

8. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

Did you visit Richard? If so, I believe he also has Altex rabbits.

Linda Welch
    Texas Rabbit Connection

9. Al. Countryboy

Yes it was Richard that I visited. He and his wife were very nice and both very helpful and willing to answer all the questions that we kept throwing at them. From most of the info. that I had ready, I was over feeding my bunnies and was feeling a little guilty, but with his breeding program, he keeps the full. Yes, I am sure those other rabbits were Altex. Are they a three way cross?

10. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member