Homesteading Forum banner

721 - 729 of 729 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
My morning started with a horse roundup. One neighbor called to say some horses were on the blind corner on the forest service road. I immediately expected them to be mine. They weren't so I called another neigbor. They were his. Went to help get them, so I got in my early morning exercise. 34 degrees and sunny so a noce start to the day.

Even better, I found out one of his mares is pregnant. A blue roan gypsy vanner is the father. Yes, I will spend far too much time there. I am a sucker for babies.

Had to look that type up. Impressive in pictures. Never seen one in real life.

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
My morning started with a horse roundup. One neighbor called to say some horses were on the blind corner on the forest service road. I immediately expected them to be mine. They weren't so I called another neigbor. They were his. Went to help get them, so I got in my early morning exercise. 34 degrees and sunny so a noce start to the day.

Even better, I found out one of his mares is pregnant. A blue roan gypsy vanner is the father. Yes, I will spend far too much time there. I am a sucker for babies.
Vanners are very pretty, and a blue roan foal would be stunning.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,617 Posts
50 bales of feed stacked ,50 tomorrow and the 50 the next day. Overheated here. 84 degrees. I would prefer early mornings but I am busy in the office doing compter and server work then.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,859 Posts
We picked our first watermelon, it was under ripe. What a disappointment. This is the first time I have grown them. And the seed we got is a variety I never heard of, moon and stars. Wait a week and try another one I guess.
20200914_184801.jpeg
20200914_184858.jpeg

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,859 Posts
@MO_cows, try thumping them before you pick them. They should sound hollow.
This one did, so did 2 others same size. Hope another week does the trick. Anybody ever grown the moon snd stars variety? They are green with yellow speckles, the foliage and the melons. So the color isn't a clue either

Reactions: Gayle in KY

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,696 Posts
So the color isn't a clue either
The bottoms should be yellowish, not all white.
The vine closest to the melon should be brown and dried.

Reactions: no really
721 - 729 of 729 Posts