701 - 720 of 729 Posts

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
Reactions: Gayle in KY

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Our Valey is filled with smoke. Smoke from California. It is crazy how far the jet stream can spread the smoke.
Having to breathe wildfire smoke (especially when it's super hot already) is the worst.

I'm still in shock that we haven't had any nearby yet. It's been so hot and windy for going on two weeks, usually we'd have a bunch burning near us by now.

Hoping I'm not cursing myself as I type this.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
It was a busy week that ended up rather depressing. I saw the MRI report (I have an appt with the ortho 8/31, but I'm trying to get in on a cancellation) on my right knee. It's pretty much trashed- torn and flipped meniscus, cartridge is thin or gone in all three compartments, major spurring, a stress fracture, and just to liven things up, a ganglion cyst. The tendons and ligaments are in good shape. It's not going to just a scope for this one, and I'm afraid the surgeon will say it needs replacing. I had hoped it would be just two scopes and I'd be on my way in a couple months, but it doesn't look so simple now.

Bette Davis was right, "Getting old ain't for sissies"
That sounds super painful, not to mention stressful. Hoping for the best.

My mother-in-law walks around repeating that quote constantly.

·
Uncertified Master Chief Village Idiot
1,998 Posts
Irish Pixie, I'm so sorry to hear about your knee. I can only imagine how much it (they) must be bothering you. I know the surgery and recovery won't be any fun, but hopefully you'll get some relief in the end!

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
That sounds super painful, not to mention stressful. Hoping for the best.

My mother-in-law walks around repeating that quote constantly.
Irish Pixie, I'm so sorry to hear about your knee. I can only imagine how much it (they) must be bothering you. I know the surgery and recovery won't be any fun, but hopefully you'll get some relief in the end!
Thank you both. It is painful, stressful, and depressing. A true 2020 situation. The high spot will be explaining and showing my oldest grandson pictures of an artificial knee. He'll think it's cool.

·
Unapologetically me
20,828 Posts
It was a busy week that ended up rather depressing. I saw the MRI report (I have an appt with the ortho 8/31, but I'm trying to get in on a cancellation) on my right knee. It's pretty much trashed- torn and flipped meniscus, cartridge is thin or gone in all three compartments, major spurring, a stress fracture, and just to liven things up, a ganglion cyst. The tendons and ligaments are in good shape. It's not going to just a scope for this one, and I'm afraid the surgeon will say it needs replacing. I had hoped it would be just two scopes and I'd be on my way in a couple months, but it doesn't look so simple now.

Bette Davis was right, "Getting old ain't for sissies"
Sorry to hear of your knee troubles.
I have a torn meniscus in my left knee, and oddly enough it really only bothers when I lay down at night.
I had a cortisone shot almost a year ago and after the initial pain and agony of that, it settled down in a week or so.
Might be time again.
Hope they get you fixed up with a minimum of down time and discomfort.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,617 Posts
The weather is moving towards fall. Last night it was beautifully bright out as the moon is close to full. The horses are enjoying all the serviceberries on the trees. They really like them as do the foxes. Need to get hay in for winter. The fall chores begin.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
The weather is moving towards fall. Last night it was beautifully bright out as the moon is close to full. The horses are enjoying all the serviceberries on the trees. They really like them as do the foxes. Need to get hay in for winter. The fall chores begin.
Might want to cut down the serviceberry bushes...they are toxic to horses.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,617 Posts
Serviceberries are all over the mountains and hillsides here. Could not possibly get rid of them all. The good thing is that they are only really toxic in the early spring around the time they are flowering or possibly in the winter if a horse had nothing else to eat and ate an entire tree. The ripe berries ( what my horses are snacking on) contain very low levels of prunasin and they are not toxic

There are no trees in their paddock and three of their pastures. They are only on the hillside they are allowed onto at the end of the season when the flowering is well past.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
Yes, I know....we had them all over our property too, as well as hemlock.
hard to be a horse person sometimes but we do what we can by knowing about toxic plants and eradicating them in pastures.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,617 Posts
The sheep trucks have started moving the sheep off of the range. They start moving on to the forest early before dark. Caravans of 3 or 4 trucks with trailers.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,859 Posts
A beautiful day today. Only about 80, not ultra humid. Topped off with a gorgeous sunset tonight. Mosquitoes are still bad, we need a freeze or frost. I had to head inside shortly after this shot was taken.
20200902_195556.jpeg

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
Our daughter's birthday is today, and we'll celebrate with takeout Thai and cheesecake. Our grandson's birthdays are days apart so we'll celebrate with them on Sunday, I imagine we'll be eating pizza and cupcakes. We bought each of them kick scooters that light up, and they are going to love them. The little guy's scooter has two wheels in front, it will be easier for him to use.

The weather is cooling down, and I'm glad for it, but it means we'll have to put away summer soon. Fall is my favorite time of year.

·
Unapologetically me
20,828 Posts
Tomorrow is supposed to hit 102° on Saturday and Tuesday's high will be 44° with a low of 26°
I think the garden might be in trouble

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,889 Posts
I was going to drive over to my son’s house this morning, which is a 40 minute drive through the Texas Hill Country.

I came outside to drink my cup of coffee on the porch, enjoy the cooler temperature, and watch the rain. About four minutes into that plan, and all the local fire, EMS, and law enforcement sirens wailed. A quick check of my scanner app reveals that folks forgot how to drive on wet roads.

At least two wrecks between my house and his. The alternate route is more winding.

I may postpone my trip.

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
The boys birthday party was a cookout rather than pizza- burgers, Nathans hot dogs (the only dogs, IMO), a plethora of salads, chips, etc. and a garbage truck birthday cake complete with gummy worms and other assorted "garbage" (our youngest grandson is fascinated with them) and cupcakes.

It was a nerf gun themed party complete with target shooting games, camo covered shooting hides, safety glasses, the whole shebang. A good time was had by all.

·
Unapologetically me
20,828 Posts
34° this morning on the way to work. Wind chill right now is 26° and expecting over 3 inches of snow tonight.
2 days ago it was 103°
Gotta appreciate the weather I guess.
Hoping it'll kill off some of the flies.
My son is visiting from Texas and he's enjoying the cooler weather.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,617 Posts
My morning started with a horse roundup. One neighbor called to say some horses were on the blind corner on the forest service road. I immediately expected them to be mine. They weren't so I called another neigbor. They were his. Went to help get them, so I got in my early morning exercise. 34 degrees and sunny so a noce start to the day.

Even better, I found out one of his mares is pregnant. A blue roan gypsy vanner is the father. Yes, I will spend far too much time there. I am a sucker for babies.

701 - 720 of 729 Posts