Homesteading Forum banner

621 - 640 of 675 Posts

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,826 Posts
Our road has become a corn tunnel again. At night it really looks like a tunnel.

A healthy crop is beautiful, but when the corn gets tall it becomes a blind turn to come down our road. There would be more wrecks if there was more traffic.
20200710_174848.jpeg

·
Registered
30,709 Posts
We finally got some rain, and there is more in the forecast for today. It's still hot, humid, and horrible tho, but central air makes this weather so much nicer.

I need to do a commando grocery run for the things I forgot earlier in the week, and I have a rather serious ironing situation to handle today. And I'm still sitting here like a bump on a pickle.

I hope everyone has a lovely weekend.

Reactions: alida

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,282 Posts
Major accomplishment today. I took out and replaced the blower for the heat and air conditioning in my car. It was behnd the glove box and up under the dash. Was not easy because of the tight space and only being able to use one arm. I now have air conditioning again. :) It would have cost me upwards of $500.00 but all I spent was $49.00.

·
13,826 Posts
Picking in the garden and processing the harvest was on the agenda today. Made 6 quarts of bread and butter pickles. 6 pints zucchini relish. Snapped green beans, etc. But then had to take a break and watch the air show, the crop dusters are working today.

Went to a funeral yesterday. Younger cousin lost her husband. Good turnout and it was a bit of a family reunion. One cousin had lost a bunch of weight and another cousin found it! Good to see everyone but sure hope nobody brought the virus. Biggest crowd I have been in since the pandemic started.
20200712_151046.jpeg
20200712_151029.jpeg

Reactions: Irish Pixie

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Today is lovely, sunny, tolerably warm day. A nice change from blazing hot and humid last week. Unfortunately, the price paid for cooler temps was a huge wind storm last night. No tornado but wind 80-90 mph. Not much damage to homes but trees and branches down all over. Most of the corn will straighten back up but some of it will not.
We had a nice small outdoor family gathering yesterday. Only about half of the usual crowd but everyone had to do what was best for their family. It wrapped up early and everyone was back home and we were cleaned up before the storm.

·
Registered
30,709 Posts
I'm very impatiently waiting for tomorrow's app't with an orthopedic regarding my knee. There is much I need to get done, and just can't. Gah.

·
Registered
30,709 Posts
It's a meniscus issue in my knee. The x ray wasn't conclusive, so an MRI is being scheduled. Worst case scenario is surgery, best case is cortisone injections. Fingers crossed for the injections.

Keep doing what I'm doing- rest, elevation, ice, and OTC painkillers.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,462 Posts

·
Registered
30,709 Posts

·
newfieannie
9,164 Posts
that's interesting! i hadn't heard anything negative about it. my husband had it and only needed the one injection . he said it worked wonders. i was thinking that's what they would give me for my shoulder. i still can only lift my arm so far. mostly working with one arm.i think i have overworked that one now.

i must have sprained something when i was cutting out brush and trees. i'm putting off calling for an appointment. not likely get one anyway. such a backlog. i get some relief from moist heat. i also take ibuprofen at night. i've got a jet tub that i think might help but he's too high. i'd likely cause more damage getting in and out ~Georgia

·
13,826 Posts
Don't you just love it when something restores your faith in humanity? For weeks now, a homeless guy has been hanging out next to a convenience store i pass by. Today I had to run in that store, heat index is over 100, and I asked the guy working, if I buy some drinks will you give them to him? He replied, we already gave him several bottles of water today. I give him food every day. His name is Richard, he is nice man just wants to be left alone. It would be better for him in a shelter in this heat but he doesn't want to go.

So the store owner has a good heart and I will given them all the business I can.

It made my day to encounter such an example of human kindness.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Major accomplishment today. I took out and replaced the blower for the heat and air conditioning in my car. It was behnd the glove box and up under the dash. Was not easy because of the tight space and only being able to use one arm. I now have air conditioning again. :) It would have cost me upwards of $500.00 but all I spent was $49.00.
Congratulations on that. From my experience its even harder than you make it sound like :)

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,282 Posts
Congratulations on that. From my experience its even harder than you make it sound like :)
Thanks. Today I installed a new touch screen radio. Tomorrow I will put back all the bits an pieces from glove compartment to dash covers and hope I find al the needed screws. Tuesday a new charging port and seat covers will arrive. It will be looking spiffy after all that is done.

·
13,826 Posts
Yesterday, the pasture was mowed for hay. Today there were several vultures working the field. Cleaning up the mice, snakes and bunnies that didnt get out of the way. A meal for them and removing taint from the hay. Tried to take a pic but too far away and they flew off as soon as they saw me and puppy girl.
20200718_141346.jpeg

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Thanks. Today I installed a new touch screen radio. Tomorrow I will put back all the bits an pieces from glove compartment to dash covers and hope I find al the needed screws. Tuesday a new charging port and seat covers will arrive. It will be looking spiffy after all that is done.
Now do not forget that most jobs always have a few parts left over. Just because they were needed originally does not mean a lot :)

·
Registered
30,709 Posts
that's interesting! i hadn't heard anything negative about it. my husband had it and only needed the one injection . he said it worked wonders. i was thinking that's what they would give me for my shoulder. i still can only lift my arm so far. mostly working with one arm.i think i have overworked that one now.

i must have sprained something when i was cutting out brush and trees. i'm putting off calling for an appointment. not likely get one anyway. such a backlog. i get some relief from moist heat. i also take ibuprofen at night. i've got a jet tub that i think might help but he's too high. i'd likely cause more damage getting in and out ~Georgia
I'm having issues (the same type) with the "good knee" now. It was bound to happen. Although the bad knee has improved enough (rest, compression, ice, and OTC anti inflammatories) that I'm starting to be able to do things again. I still have to stop a couple times a day for treatment, and to watch Once Upon a Time on Netflix, but I am getting things done, finally.

I read the article, and I'll discuss it with my ortho, but my experience (not personal, but with family and friends) is the same as yours, a couple of injections works on minor joint issues.

I have found the gel Bio Freeze works as well as prescription lidocaine patches for pain relief.

·
Unapologetically me
20,731 Posts
It's a meniscus issue in my knee. The x ray wasn't conclusive, so an MRI is being scheduled. Worst case scenario is surgery, best case is cortisone injections. Fingers crossed for the injections.

Keep doing what I'm doing- rest, elevation, ice, and OTC painkillers.
I've got a torn meniscus in my left knee.
The Cortisone shot helped a bunch, although it hurt like crazy at first.
He said if I was 20 years younger they'd fix it.

·
Unapologetically me
20,731 Posts
I replaced the blower in my pickup a while back as well as the resistor. Like you said, it was a one handed job but not too bad and saved a ton of money.

Reactions: painterswife

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,282 Posts
You just can't make these things up. We have had a week of printer problems throughout our locations. New ones, needing to reinstall others on the server, and more. Today I get a call that another printer is not working. Now this is a couple of hours from where I am so I get on the server and see a bunch of print jobs waiting to print. The problem was that the printer door was open and no one bothered to check. Yes, I solve the big problems. :)

·
13,826 Posts
Painterswife, glad you found that before you made a drive. There might have been casualties!

The pasture turned hayfield is a popular place lately. Looked out the window as i was getting coffee yesterday morning, a pair of coyotes were checking it out.

Worked in the garden yesterday, didnt finish what I intended but was risking heatstroke, it was that hot and humid. Got all the corn and cabbage out, did some weeding. A zucchini plant is dying, that might be a blessing as we have a pile of them already.
20200719_060709.jpeg

621 - 640 of 675 Posts