Homesteading Forum banner

601 - 620 of 675 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I tried to resist but just couldn't. Meet Ellie, 8 weeks old. Momma is bullmastiff, daddy was sneaky.
]
Wow! Miss Ellie is the most adorable pup! My kinda pup - she will grow up to be the kinda dog I don’t have to bend over to pet and I’m only 5’2”, lollol. I’ve rescued smaller dogs but my general rule is they need to be big enough that I can give them head scritichies without bending over:)

Rain - I didn’t need to mow three days ago - all of a sudden the grass has shot up. The yards now need mowed and the pastures will need bushogged in another week or so.

Gardening - no, lol. I retired from gardening (that means I was the weed puller) when dad stopped farming and leased our farm to the neighbors:). Besides, I have actually killed a Chia Pet. I was in my 20’s the last year I canned and made ketchup. I tip my hat to all of you who are still enthused about the entire process:)

Shopping - as little as possible, unless it involves Publix, lol. When I retired, I said I was not coming off this hill for much of anything and I meant it, lollol. DH is hypertensive Type A, so still works full time. He generally picks up whatever we need on his way home from work.

Masks - Glad I already had a stash of dust masks for when we put up hay, lollol. When I do go to town, I wear a mask. It’s no big deal to me. The laws for seatbelts T’d me off lonnnng before this mask thing ever came along, lol. Now that I are old and this nasty respiratory infection is going around, I’m perfectly fine wearing a mask. It is one of the few things that makes some sort of sense in this whole Covid19 thing.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,826 Posts
One more and I will quit hogging the thread with puppy posts. Honest! But look at that tail. Thought real hard about naming her Dipstick. And it's tan on the underside, reminds me of a snake belly.
20200630_195453.jpeg

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think Miss Ellie can hog all the threads she wants:)

im not one for DNA testing dogs but I might think twice with Ellie. I was struck by the black ring around her neck. The way the black on her tail begins and ends is equally as unique.

Does she have blue or black patches on her tongue.

At any rate, Ellie has a very sweet face and very kind eyes:). She is special:). How did you come to get her?

·
13,826 Posts
I think Miss Ellie can hog all the threads she wants:)

im not one for DNA testing dogs but I might think twice with Ellie. I was struck by the black ring around her neck. The way the black on her tail begins and ends is equally as unique.

Does she have blue or black patches on her tongue.

At any rate, Ellie has a very sweet face and very kind eyes:). She is special:). How did you come to get her?
Her momma is a purebred bullmastiff. Our eldest grandkids dog. She is a great dog, smart, loyal, protective, healthy, great with their kids, etc. She had an oops litter, nobody saw the mating but there is a doberman looking black male dog in the neighborhood. He's much taller than the bullmastiff so maybe great dane x Dobie.

Ellie seems like she will become a real good dog. She listens, tries to please. Can't wait to see her full grown and running with the black shepherd and foxhound that we already have here. They will make a pretty pack.
IMG_20190701_004825.jpeg

·
Unapologetically me
20,731 Posts
Still working from home.
Not all bad though, I had dishes done, bed made, dogs out and fed and sprinklers put on the lawn all before 6:00 am.
Brought the dogs in, then Toby wanted to go back out to play with Bernadette, so they are in the big pen. Bobby is hiding somewhere.
Been updating some software all week, it's just taking forever converting from version 2012 to 2020.
I have to use version 2018 to convert anything before 2014 to 2017 so 2020 can pick it up and convert it again.
It should run in a batch on the entire directory, but for some reason it won't, it just crashes out.
I called tech support and they told me to do it a folder at a time. Some folders go pretty fast, others will take over an hour. I'm about 62 out of 86, so I'm getting there.
Aside from that, we are having company Friday which was the day I was wanting to go see my grandkids. I might go see them for a bit anyway. Need to go to town to pick up rent checks anyway.
Tomorrow I'll mow and try to get the front porch straightened up and try to make it look presentable.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
it's canada day tomorrow and nothing open so i went out and dropped off my old microwave (everything like that has to be taken to special places now. there's no going to the waste disposal place with it) went and got a few groceries. plenty food around. prices haven't gone down though and not likely to.

i came across a fruit i had never seen before lychee. native to china i think. i only bought 4 because i wasn't sure. usually when they have something new there is someone giving samples to try.anyway soon as i got home i tried them. were they ever good! they were 6 dollars lb. never having bought them before i dont know if it's expensive . i plan to buy more on tues. for my son to try

we still have drizzle. i was planning on transplanting again when i got back but there was a movie i wanted to watch this morning starring robert mitchum and i was late going out. i don't work well if i don't start off early morning. i get behind on everything and get disgusted with myself.

i see more and more people have their masks on today. ~Georgia
I don't go to town without a mask. Just common sense. AT my age i sure don't need that virus that's going around. Still a lot of folks not taking this Virus serious.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,282 Posts
Major headache today. Why can't people leave computer systems they don't think are working and ask the people in charge when they have a problem. Now I have to drive to the office and redo an entire VPN system between locations from scratch.

·
13,826 Posts
Woo-hoo, starting to get tomatoes out of the garden. And cucumber, zucchini. Green beans are blooming. Won't be long now. Cantaloupe are over running their alloted space but not a fruit in sight. Vines and blooms.

Tomorrow will be busy. A first birthday party for great granddaughter. Why they scheduled it for the 4th is beyond me, her birthday is the 11th. So a brief appearance there then dash home to get ready for a get together at our house. Everyone likes to come here because we are out by our lonesome so can shoot their fireworks. I am grilling brined chicken, burgers and dogs. We have brisket and ribs coming. Sides so far, potato salad, baked beans, cucumber tomato salad and fresh fruit combo. A couple of desserts. Anybody leaves hungry it's their own fault.

·
newfieannie
9,164 Posts
went out and picked up a few things early today. not many around. i bought some more of those new to me fruit . the guy at the fruit section said he can't keep them on the shelf. gave my son a few to try. he can't stand them!

my shoulder is improving thank goodness . worse place to be is in a hospital right now. i put it off and suffered for a month. i came back and cut down some branches overhanging my property and i was able to hold the long handled cutter without too much problem. going up in a bit and see if i can make some bread. ~Georgia

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,462 Posts
The neighbor boy finally came over to help in the garden again. He had missed almost two weeks due to a cold and not getting his chores done. We got more done on the drip irrigation system, picked beans and okra, and he played with the rabbits.

·
13,826 Posts
I can't bring myself to link it and publicly out her, but I have been amusing myself today watching a video of my crazy aunt shooting at a rattlesnake that got inside her house and cussing a blue streak. Her technique is something, hold the phone in one hand to get video and shoot the pistol with the other. She must have put 10 bullet holes in her baseboard. Our family puts the fun in dysfunctional!

·
Registered
30,709 Posts
We have a heat advisory today, high temps and high humidity. My a/c is set on "morgue". :)

My knee is finally a bit better- rest, ice, OTC painkillers, and elevation help a lot. I must get a few things done today tho.

Reactions: newfieannie

·
newfieannie
9,164 Posts
humidity is very high here also. i managed to do the mowing in 3 parts. the median, 1/2 the lawn and then the other half. in between i sat in the room with the air conditioner. too dangerous to do it all at once. water was dripping off me as it was. i get a little worried to take chances now . my sister who is younger than me had a stroke on sunday~Georgia

·
Registered
30,709 Posts
humidity is very high here also. i managed to do the mowing in 3 parts. the median, 1/2 the lawn and then the other half. in between i sat in the room with the air conditioner. too dangerous to do it all at once. water was dripping off me as it was. i get a little worried to take chances now . my sister who is younger than me had a stroke on sunday~Georgia
Stay safe, Georgia. How is your sister doing?

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,462 Posts
Thank goodness I don't do much mowing. I am letting my little slice of Hill Country Heaven be a Wildlife Habitat. I did have to mow a path to the workshop and one to the compost bin. That's it.

Reactions: po boy

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,282 Posts
Mowing is easy here. I open the gate and the mares do it for me.

·
newfieannie
9,164 Posts
i bought red clover last year . supposed to grow only 2 inches so i wouldn't have to mow.also withstands the heat better. i didn't think it had taken so i set more grass seed this year but i see the clover is growing. i've only seen pink and white clover but i see i have some red ones now. i'm likely the only one setting clover in their lawn. everyone else is trying to get rid of it but i like it and it's my lawn.

my sister had a couple stints put in and then she had the mini stroke in hospital. today they did the dye test and everything looks good. tomorrow they will do an ultra sound. she has awful pain in her face. my bro said that was from the stints. everyone gets it. but my husband and the friends i looked after didn't have face pain after. i guess everyone reacts differently. ~Georgia

·
Registered
30,709 Posts
i bought red clover last year . supposed to grow only 2 inches so i wouldn't have to mow.also withstands the heat better. i didn't think it had taken so i set more grass seed this year but i see the clover is growing. i've only seen pink and white clover but i see i have some red ones now. i'm likely the only one setting clover in their lawn. everyone else is trying to get rid of it but i like it and it's my lawn.

my sister had a couple stints put in and then she had the mini stroke in hospital. today they did the dye test and everything looks good. tomorrow they will do an ultra sound. she has awful pain in her face. my bro said that was from the stints. everyone gets it. but my husband and the friends i looked after didn't have face pain after. i guess everyone reacts differently. ~Georgia
I hope your sister continues to improve.

We have a lot of clover in the back yard, I like it too.

·
Registered
30,709 Posts
I was always leery of the effectiveness of lidocaine patches. I can honestly say that they do help with pain. I have another weapon in my arsenal against knee pain. I'm going to try lidocaine cream next.

Reactions: MO_cows
601 - 620 of 675 Posts