Homesteading Forum banner

581 - 600 of 618 Posts

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,797 Posts
Worked out in the garden some tonight. Cleaned up where the radishes, beets and lettuce were and planted pumpkin and watermelon in their place. Our first planting of those failed, hope we can still get them ripe before frost. Our corn made "head high by 4th of July " and has tassels and silks. What would have been our first ripe tomatoes rotted from touching the ground. The chickens messed up our sprawl on straw strategy by scratching our straw all over the place and not where we needed it. Bugs really eating on the cabbage so they got some sevin dust.

Reactions: Cornhusker

·
Registered
80 Posts
I spent most of the day roasting tomatoes and putting them in sealer bags to freeze. Our tomatoes are going crazy this year. I have a huge pile to deal with every day. Zucchini, too. Pumpkins are making, but not ripe yet. I work a little each day on my flower beds that I’ve neglected for the past couple of years. I try to get all outside work done before noon and it gets too hot. Then I spend the afternoons preserving the harvest and doing some online transcription work in between batches.

·
newfieannie
9,157 Posts
went out shopping yesterday for the makings for cabbage roll casseroles. got them in the oven now. tomorrow is friday and my son will drop by for his food.

too hot to make bread for him so i'll throw a batch of rolls together tonight. doesn't take too long for them. then perhaps a jelly roll. he's going to do all my mowing on saturday out in the country. just too hot for me. so much warmer than here along the coast.

i haven't had an angel food cake for many years. my friend who passed use to make them. i really liked them but could never make them as well as she could. she would cut them and fill with lemon pie filling and serve with cream and berries etc. my specialty was jelly rolls. remembering now how much i liked them i might try my hand at them again. ~Georgia

·
13,797 Posts
Harvested the stock tank taters, they came out nice. Not a lot of yield because we didn't get to hill them but perfect Yukon gold potatoes.

On today's agenda, go pick up a beef from the processor. We only bought half but we know the ones who bought the other 2 quarters so of course we get nominated to pick theirs up too. Every cooler and insulated bag we own is in the SUV, it's a hot day.

DS has the big competition smoker running, smoking meat for graduation party tomorrow. Brisket, pork butt and some pork loins. Smoke and slice today, reheat tomorrow. Expecting 30 to 40 people.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Harvested the stock tank taters, they came out nice. Not a lot of yield because we didn't get to hill them but perfect Yukon gold potatoes.

On today's agenda, go pick up a beef from the processor. We only bought half but we know the ones who bought the other 2 quarters so of course we get nominated to pick theirs up too. Every cooler and insulated bag we own is in the SUV, it's a hot day.

DS has the big competition smoker running, smoking meat for graduation party tomorrow. Brisket, pork butt and some pork loins. Smoke and slice today, reheat tomorrow. Expecting 30 to 40 people.
sounds like fun.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My husband and I drove into Dallas to run a few errands. I thought I might stop at one of the grocery stores in the city to get some ground summer savory from the spice aisle since neither our small town grocery stores nor Walmart’s carry it. But, no, all the grocery stores were requiring masks and I refuse to comply. Decided I don’t need it that bad.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
My husband and I drove into Dallas to run a few errands. I thought I might stop at one of the grocery stores in the city to get some ground summer savory from the spice aisle since neither our small town grocery stores nor Walmart’s carry it. But, no, all the grocery stores were requiring masks and I refuse to comply. Decided I don’t need it that bad.
You can order it online from Walmart.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,188 Posts
Today is assorted chore day. I installed a new bidet seat on one of the toilets. I expect I will install one in the other bathroom. Will save on toilet paper. Also need to work on the endless weed spraying. Thistles be gone.

·
13,797 Posts
Graduation ceremony yesterday for DGD. Had to bump it back an hour due to rain. We put it on live video for my sister in Washington. The meats DS smoked for the party were excellent. Tender and moist even though he smoked it Friday and reheated. With an abundance of sides and my mother's to die for peanut butter cake.

One more event to finish off high school. Prom was rescheduled for July.

Hot steamy weather predicted for the coming week. Going to sweat a lot taking care of the garden. We have a slew of tomatoes ready to turn.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
Today is kinda a me day. Just going to enjoy the day and recover from all the socializing in the last week. Pick some fresh veggies, sit by the pool and read. Enjoy the silence and being still, mind and body.

·
newfieannie
9,157 Posts
that's what i'm doing. enjoying the day although i guess i'm working to some people. just a pleasure to me. i've been transplanting since 7am. we were supposed to have rain. it's just overcast and drizzle but i'll take it. as i transplant i'm watering with my can and i soaked the ground for a bit beforehand

got rid of all the pots of seedlings on the deck that were ready. all i have out there now is a few pots of dill i transplanted from mine for my son. just lovely to be able to get out there without the sun beating down.

i spent a little time smelling my climbing roses which are covering the fence. they bloomed without me noticing. was too hot to go out there before. ~Georgia

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,188 Posts
Pouring rain here so it will be an inside day. Yesterday was dusting and cobweb removal on all the ceiling lights and artwork and corners. I also named and labelled on the remote control lights and outlets in the barn/shop. It needed to be done. I have all the lights and music set up so we can voice control it from in the house and barn. It allows me to turn it off if forgotten or turn on all the outside lights to see if something is bothering the animals. It also turns on the lights in the chicken house on a schedule.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Pouring rain here so it will be an inside day. Yesterday was dusting and cobweb removal on all the ceiling lights and artwork and corners. I also named and labelled on the remote control lights and outlets in the barn/shop. It needed to be done. I have all the lights and music set up so we can voice control it from in the house and barn. It allows me to turn it off if forgotten or turn on all the outside lights to see if something is bothering the animals. It also turns on the lights in the chicken house on a schedule.
that sounds like a very handy system. It’s it something y’all put together yourself, or a system that you bought already designed?

·
13,797 Posts
We haven't had a puppy for 14, 15 years. The last 2 dogs we brought home were adults. Really enjoying her! She has decided she is my dog. Dont even have to call her, just walk and she is right there with me. This morning I got a whine serenade while I showered and when I left for work she was yowling by the time I got to the driveway. But it didn't last long, she is buddies with dad and DSIL too.

·
newfieannie
9,157 Posts
it's canada day tomorrow and nothing open so i went out and dropped off my old microwave (everything like that has to be taken to special places now. there's no going to the waste disposal place with it) went and got a few groceries. plenty food around. prices haven't gone down though and not likely to.

i came across a fruit i had never seen before lychee. native to china i think. i only bought 4 because i wasn't sure. usually when they have something new there is someone giving samples to try.anyway soon as i got home i tried them. were they ever good! they were 6 dollars lb. never having bought them before i dont know if it's expensive . i plan to buy more on tues. for my son to try

we still have drizzle. i was planning on transplanting again when i got back but there was a movie i wanted to watch this morning starring robert mitchum and i was late going out. i don't work well if i don't start off early morning. i get behind on everything and get disgusted with myself.

i see more and more people have their masks on today. ~Georgia

581 - 600 of 618 Posts