virginia questions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by quadrants2, Jul 13, 2005.

1. quadrants2

quadrants2 Well-Known Member Supporter

im thinking of buying some land in virginia to plan my homestead and any advice or experience any of you have with virginia would be appreciated.
    also. does anybody know what i can expect to pay for a well, and septic?
    thanks to all on this forum..this place is great!
    (i miss tiffany4k though wish she'd come back)
    thanks quad

2. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

I have to say that Virginia is pretty great. I grew up outside of Cleveland Ohio and the winters here are VERY easy compared to the Great Lakes. Except there is no maple sugar and you don't get to wear all those great winter sweaters very often.

But you do have 4 seasons. Lots of history and culture. People actually live in 200-250 year old houses around here. Lots of farmland still left. When I started looking for my houses I requested info from United Country.com because they always advertised all these seemingly too good to be true homesteads in Countryside magazine. So each office sent a nice full color brochure of their listings and Darn, if there aren't tons of nice reasonable places around here. The guy in the Scottsville office has purchased a number of foreclosed homes and suggested that as a route. Last week, my TV repairman said his neighbor went bankrupt and the house was sold at auction for $48,000. A guy bought it and spent two months and $20,000 fixing it up. Put in on the market for $168,000. It sold the first week and now a new woman owns it. I was like 'how come I didn't know about this house, I woulda bought it!!!!'

Stay away from Northern Virginia. I'd look around the Blacksburg area and on the Virginia/North Carolina border. I'd estimate $5K for a well and $5K for septic but that was just for when I was looking to build around the Charlottesville area. I ended up buying but in a couple of years I hope to sell out and have a nice downpayment on something more rural.

Good luck!

Beaux

3. Wildcrofthollow

Wildcrofthollow Well-Known Member

I have lived in Virginia all of my life...
    I couldn't move. I love it here. The mountains are beautiful. You can still get land here pretty inexpensively. We bought most of our 71 acres for less than 2000 an acre and that was with mature hardwoods on it, not clearcut. ellebeaux is right, you need to stay away from northern VA, I was raised there when it was country but it ain't country anymore. I haven't been back up there for a very long time.
    My advice is similar:
    South of Charlottesville, Nowhere near Richmond. Any of the southern counties. My choice would be near mountains.

Good luck

David

4. egads1

egads1 Member

I live in NO. VA. and I wouldn't recommend it. We have a place with 17-acres in WV and it's beautyful there, nice and quite, no neighbors living on top of you. I can't wait to live there full time.

5. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

My family is from the Northern Neck of Va. Stay away from this area. If you would like to be in Va but want mountains, try Highland Co. It's next to Wv and is very high in elevation. And they do have maple syrup here. I had a friend who's dh and BIL sugared for years here in the 90's. The only problem with Highland co is lack of employment.

Laura Lynn

6. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

7. Triffin

Triffin Well-Known Member

We have some acreage in SW Va .. Henry County
    to be exact .. Beautiful four season area ..
    Spring and Fall are the long seasons with shorter
    Summers and Winters .. It does snow but rarely
    stays on the ground for more than a few days ..

Land values in my area run ~$1,500/acre .. not much
    work though and a generally economically depressed
    area otherwise real estate would be alot higher
    than it is .. all in all a great retirement/home
    steading area if you have an income ..

Triff ..

8. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I agree with many of the posters so far. Avoid Northern Virginia (this includes Winchester and Front Royal), as the entire region is becoming a bedroom community for DC. The Tidewater area is probably not a good idea either, nor is the environs around Richmond, I would gather. The summers do get a bit on the hot side around here, while we aren't far enough south to avoid winter. The gun laws are rather liberal (meaning permissive, not gun-control Liberal), and I don't see the anti-tobacco Nazi's taking over any time soon, since VA is still a tobacco growing state.

9. quadrants2

quadrants2 Well-Known Member Supporter

thanks for all the info. alot of it was what i have heard so you reinforced it for me.i am looking about 80 miles from the nc border and land is pretty reasonable..and i have been on united country's web site and it looks promising hopefully its real..
    thanks again everybody

10. dovelove

dovelove Well-Known Member

Hey, stop beating up on No. VA!! I've live around 30 minutes outside of D.C., just expect traffic, traffic, traffic. Some people have 3 or more hour commutes. Farmland is very expensive around here, if your looking for farmland, look in the mountain region, or southwest of Richmond. Stinks because I'm looking for a farm somewhat close in so that my kids can still go to their school in Alexandria. No. VA is big horse country (which is good for me, but you might not want horses), but that of course jacks up the price of farmland. I really don't like really rural settings (where it's 20 miles untill you see another human), but it depends on your taste. What are you looking to do with your homestead?

Beaux was right, there is a multitude of heritage, some people own farms that have been in their family for hundreds of years. VA also has some nice attractions, like Williamsburg, which is great for family vacations. Lots of Battlefields and historic landmarks as well.

Alie

11. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

No you dont, you have had Farmer_K keeping you company :rolleyes: :boring:

12. Merrique

Merrique Well-Known Member

My parents like in the Wythe/Carroll County area outside of Wytheville in SW Virginia, it is a gorgeous place, right in the mountains. You can find reasonably priced farms and the people are quire nice. The Wytheville area is growing quite quickly, I would think that many job areas are also looking good. My dad works as a contractor for a mobile home fabricator and he does very well. Good luck!

13. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Ive always been drawn to Virginia, even before I first went there. After I saw it I fell in love with it. And the people there are wonderful :)

My question about Virginia, how long are the real hot months? I went to Williamsburg on July 4, and nearly died from the dead air, no breeze and humid and 99 :eek:
    I can take that as long as its not TOO long. lol

And how long is winter? What zones are you all in, as far as planting?
    I want to move there so badly, I hope to do it when I finish my nursing school. Are nurses in high demand there as well?

14. Haynes

Haynes Well-Known Member

The heat is relative. I go up on weekends from Ga., where the humidity is a killer and it feels so much better up there. But my friends say its so hot.
    Winters are winters but I prefer the Va. snow, when it does snow compared to the ice storms that we usually get in Ga. My place is in S W Va. down by the TN-Ky borders. More hilly than mountains. But it's peaceful and exactly what I was looking for.

Donnie--

15. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

16. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

Bwhahahaha! Being from Texas and STILL living in Texas..I would say anything with humidity is nothing to me. Try Houston at 100 degrees and 100 percent humidity! You will get used to the humidity. I hate to tell people but if they choose to live here and complain about the heat or the humidity..I tell them to get over it and they will GET used to it. The humidity is actually better for my skin.

Ted

17. ChuckinVA

ChuckinVA Well-Known Member

" have to say that Virginia is pretty great. I grew up outside of Cleveland Ohio and the winters here are VERY easy compared to the Great Lakes. Except there is no maple sugar and you don't get to wear all those great winter sweaters very often.
    "

Don't let the folks in the highlands area around Monterey, hear you say that. They make maple sugar and wear sweaters!

There are still some areas of Virginia that land is affordable but not many. As others have indicated Southwest Virginia is still affordable (relative ) but you are likely not to have all the amenities that you might be used to. However that may be exactly why you would want to be there. There are usually larger cities nearby to look for work. Schools may or may not be accceptable. Do your research and check the acredidation situation before commiting to an area unless you intend to homeschool. Good luck and let us know when you get here !