Virginia-how much snow?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by doodles, Mar 2, 2005.

1. doodles

doodles Well-Known Member

I am planning to move to Virginia and am just curious about how much snow you have gotten this past week? Were the roads passable? Did you loose electricity?
    Angie

2. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

If it had all stayed we would have got a total of about 12" in the past 3 days here in the New River Valley. But it was melting as it still snowed. The most we accumulated was 6" or so at one point.Now we have maybe 3" on the ground. We did not lose power. During the winter high winds are common here. I am told we usually lose power at least once which we did earlier this year for 4 hrs. The power co is very good about responding to outages and even calls you to make sure your power is back on. The main highways are always kept clear. The schols were closed mon and tues but are re-opening with a 1 hr delay this morning.

PQ

3. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

Here in Augusta County I had 11 inches on my deck, we never lost electricity (haven't had a power outage here for many years), the main roads were passable on Mon morning and by Mon afternoon were just wet, the back roads still have some icy spots this morning but not too bad, schools were closed Mon and Tues and they opened 2 hours late this morning.
    What part of the state are you moving to?

4. jack_c-ville

jack_c-ville Well-Known Member

We got about 7 inches here in Charlottesville. The roads were passable in a 4 wheel drive vehicle. We didn't lose electricity.

Usually the biggest problem on the roads when it snows is the fact that people here don't know how to drive properly in snow. We get so little of it that they never really learn. Consequently, the biggest problem is other people around you who think that they can drive just as fast as they usually would. This is a very real danger and it's worth staying off the roads in bad weather even if you have a properly equipped vehicle and know what you're doing.

-Jack

5. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

here in va. beach we didnt get any being close to the water makes a big differance

6. sapphira

sapphira Well-Known Member

Coalroadcabin - I live in Staunton. We got 8 1/4 inches and roads were passable same day but school off Mon and Tues as it was too messy Tues Morn for school buses on side roads. Waynesboro - where it backs up to western slope of blue ridge got 11 inches. Highland and Pendleton counties got snow all day Tues also - they get stuff from W.VA easily.
    You can figure on 1 good snow per year and a few days off from school. I would not live here in the western counties unless I had 4 wheel drive. Sapphira

Our daffodils are up about 6 inches but at a dead stop for the moment. Trees a swollen with buds. Augusta Co. Library (my favorite) has crocuses and daffodils blooming. Tiger lilies are up about 2 inches. Lily of the Valley are showing.

7. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

Hi, neighbor! I live in Stuarts Draft and work in Waynesboro.

8. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

central va here - we usually loose power during hurricanes and ice storms - we got 5" of snow this last time.

9. doodles

doodles Well-Known Member

I plan to buy land west of 81 and between 77 and 64. We are looking for large acreage with a bold creek or trout stream. It's a tall order. I have met a friend here that is helping keep an eye open. I like Giles County but am open to others. I do not want to be any closer to town than 20 miles.

10. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Have you checked the united country site? I dont know the area but they have a lot of va listings.

Edited to add: I just looked it up, and typed in "Giles County" and it pulled up 5 properties, the largest was 14.36 acres for 50k. with a house and more...

HTH

11. QueenB04

QueenB04 Well-Known Member

5 to 5 1/2" in Buckingham.

12. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

Sapphira, Pendleton Co is in West Virgina. I know cause that's where my farm is. Highland Co is on the other side of the mountain in Va. It was 10" by Tuesday morning but more was coming down all day Tuesday.
    Here in the Northwest corner of Va, Lovettsville, we got about 5" and it melted mostly on Tuesday. It was windy and cold today so not much melting done today.

Laura Lynn

13. sapphira

sapphira Well-Known Member

Thanks shagbark - I have a tendency to group us counties in an area. Probably from TV reporting areas. Sapphira

14. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

Here in Stuart, VA, just east of the 81, right at the foothills, we got 6 inches on this last storm. Before that, it's only been a few inches. They say some winters, we never see snow. (lived here for 3 years) Since you'd be in the mountains, you will get more, but the snow usually doesn't last very long. If you are 20 miles from town, the chances are higher that you will loose power and/or phone often, but rarely for long periods of time. We lost power about 6 times during the last storm, but it was rarely over a mintue. One thing to consider is internet service if you move out into the boonies. You have to pay a price for half decent internet connection, esp, since you rarely find local access numbers for dial-up. (not to mention the thunder storms!!! We lost 4 computers in the last 2 years!)

15. carly

carly on winged flight...

IN mt Jackson, Va., we got 4-5 " on the last storm....bare and cold here now. Muddy, too

Nice town to live in and great people.