Homesteading Forum banner

41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
I guess I am invested in the racial aspect of this crime because it seems there is a counter narrative building to minimize or ignore this aspect.
However, if someone described this crime as being entirely racial in nature, and the fact the victims were women was coincidental and not rooted in misogyny, I would question that analysis as well.

And that's the main point. There's a number of things going on here, and we should reject pat answers.
What was it he said or posted that indicated he hated Asians?
What evidence do you have to support racism?

I believe it was in the movie "Unforgiven" where a prostitute laughed at her client and he responded by slashing her face. Did he hate women or was he just a violent, low IQ dirtbag?

I'm all for conspiracy and theory with the best of them, but sometimes things are just as they appear to be.

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
I see just the opposite. I see mainstream media ignoring the shooter's own admission of why he shot up those places, and still saying it was racist.
I'm reading a few articles right now and it isn't hard to conclude that this guy is a bottom feeder with an admitted sex addiction. To make it about race seems a little opportunistic to me. BTW, he apparently had some t shirts made up with "Chyna Virus" on the front.
If that makes one a racist there is going to be one heck of a lot of people put into reeducation classes soon.

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
A meth head robs three 7 11s in the same night and they all happen to be owned by Pakistanis. 6 months earlier one owner wouldn't sell him booze.
Or he robs three dry cleaners that happen to be owned by Koreans. 6 months ago one owner told him to quit standing in front of their store.
Or he robs three drive thru coffee shops owned by women. 6 months earlier one of the women seemed offended when he asked her on a date.
Is he a racist who robs minorities or a drug fueled moron who picks targets of opportunity and just happens to want revenge?
Trying to work race into this crime does what to prevent future crime?

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
What was it he said or posted that indicated he hated Asians?
What evidence do you have to support racism?

I believe it was in the movie "Unforgiven" where a prostitute laughed at her client and he responded by slashing her face. Did he hate women or was he just a violent, low IQ dirtbag?

I'm all for conspiracy and theory with the best of them, but sometimes things are just as they appear to be.
Clint and Morgan! Very good call...

·
Registered
933 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,304 Posts
I guess I am invested in the racial aspect of this crime because it seems there is a counter narrative building to minimize or ignore this aspect. I don't think its correct, helpful or healthy to discount this dynamic.

However, if someone described this crime as being entirely racial in nature, and the fact the victims were women was coincidental and not rooted in misogyny, I would question that analysis as well.

And that's the main point. There's a number of things going on here, and we should reject pat answers.

The victims were not all Asian and they weren’t all women either which throws a wrench into the Asian woman angle.
A full third of them were not Asian women. How does one minimize or ignore an aspect that has no real evidence supporting it Yet?

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
So, if a crazy person goes to a place that is overwhelmingly staffed with Asians(at an establishment that is often associated with prostitution) it is automatically a "hate crime". What if this sexual addict had been from Nevada and shot up one of the brothels there, for the same reasons as this person? The victims, in such a case would likely be mostly white. Would that be a "hate crime" against whites? Or, have we been programed to jump when the media says "racist"?
I agree, but in Nevada this nut job would have been lucky to get off two shots. Those girls play rough, er I mean that is what I have heard.

·
Premium Member
41,397 Posts
We are all biased based on culture, income, gender, hygiene, diet, truck you drive, kids you raise, hairstyle, politics, etc.
And yes everyone is racist to some extent.
Everyone has some even minute learned reaction or response or initial thought that is racially biased. The anti racist activists are among the worst.
For someone to say they haven't a racist drop of blood in their body is akin to claiming you can't read or write yet correct my spelling.

Now that big brother is sliding his glasses up his nose and leaning into their monitor, I'll say this-
How many people desire to go out and harm or kill people based on race?
How many people (not groups) are advocating for another race to take a back seat?
One only has to look at the FBI profiles to see that hate crimes are not being perpetrated by families of white southern christian republicans; not overwhelmingly, not even a majority.
You don't have to agree with my opinion but I would hope we all start to agree that almost nothing is being broadcast on mainstream media anymore based on news value; every story now is weighed by producers on it's ability to create manufactured consent and manipulation.
is it racist to be concerned about ones safety in a group of white methheads? Or a bunch of outlaw bikers? Or is it common sense?

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
is it racist to be concerned about ones safety in a group of white methheads? Or a bunch of outlaw bikers? Or is it common sense?
Suppose you were walking in a city somewhere and turned the corner right into a group of BLM (Black Lives Matter) supporters and there were BLM flags everywhere.
Or suppose you were walking in a small town somewhere and turned the corner right into a group of BLM (Blue Lives Matter) and there were Stars and Bars waving everywhere.
Which one is racist? Either? Both?
Or would you be the racist quick to condemn one or the other?

·
Premium Member
41,397 Posts
Suppose you were walking in a city somewhere and turned the corner right into a group of BLM (Black Lives Matter) supporters and there were BLM flags everywhere.
Or suppose you were walking in a small town somewhere and turned the corner right into a group of BLM (Blue Lives Matter) and there were Stars and Bars waving everywhere.
I’d be equally concerned with either group. But not due to race, due to group of angry fools. Wouldn’t be around either bunch given my druthers.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Since I pretty much count on people backing police being much more apt to be law abiding, and black lives matter people having shown what their protests are apt to turn into, my opinion is that a person being equally concerned about both groups is a damn fool. So, judging by your last question, and since I admit I'm quicker to condemn one of the groups, does that make me racist? Or does it make me a person with his eyes open to self evident facts?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
The victims were not all Asian and they weren’t all women either which throws a wrench into the Asian woman angle.
A full third of them were not Asian women. How does one minimize or ignore an aspect that has no real evidence supporting it Yet?

Sorry for the delay in replying, it was my wife's birthday today, so I had some things to do.

Look, I won't belabour the issue, as I feel I have made my thinking on this clear, and I'm not trying to convince anyone to change their own minds if they have already arrived at different conclusions.

But I will say that the fact that not 100% of the victims in a mass shooting event at two conspicuously Asian-owned businesses is not a compelling argument that this shooter was indifferent to race. I think we both understand that there is an element of randomness to victim selection once these kinds of events start rolling. But even if i reject that particular argument, I am certainly willing to acknowledge that this shooter has multiple motivations, and it isn't easy or possible to parse out how they are weighted relative to each other. I think there are certain conclusions that can be readily inferred from his actions (as opposed to his words), but others will look at it differently. Hopefully people will at least think about it though...

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
No. I think the Paw’s subtle but clever rhetorical mechanism went over your head.

He was clearly trying to bring the complex concept of intersectionality down to a level we could understand by using a demonstrative example of the intersectionality between blind regurgitation of media narratives and the Dunning-Kruger effect.
LOL.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Sorry for the delay in replying, it was my wife's birthday today, so I had some things to do.

Look, I won't belabour the issue, as I feel I have made my thinking on this clear, and I'm not trying to convince anyone to change their own minds if they have already arrived at different conclusions.

But I will say that the fact that not 100% of the victims in a mass shooting event at two conspicuously Asian-owned businesses is not a compelling argument that this shooter was indifferent to race. I think we both understand that there is an element of randomness to victim selection once these kinds of events start rolling. But even if i reject that particular argument, I am certainly willing to acknowledge that this shooter has multiple motivations, and it isn't easy or possible to parse out how they are weighted relative to each other. I think there are certain conclusions that can be readily inferred from his actions (as opposed to his words), but others will look at it differently. Hopefully people will at least think about it though...
I’m with you 100% on this, buddy. Like you said, it was clearly an anti-Asian hate crime, and anyone who disagreed that it was at least partially racially motivated is disingenuous or naive.

The reasons for this heinous act are not one thing. It is clearly a hate crime against Asians.
I'm not saying that his sexual addiction wasn't a factor, because it clearly was. But to say that the fact he targeted Asian women was a coincidence is either being disingenuous or really naive.
I don’t want to be disingenuous or naive, and I totally agree with your claim that it was racially motivated.

...I just can’t remember why we think that.

Would you mind sharing that evidence with me to remind me why you and I are so sure about this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
20,304 Posts
I haven’t arrived at any conclusion because I don’t have all or any of the facts, and neither do you.
I expect we will know more about what his motivations were as the investigation winds on and the trial commences.
Until then, your assumptions that it was racially motivated are just that. Assumptions.

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,426 Posts
The news has done its darnedest to "woke" us privileged white folk. When a Syrian shoots a Massage Parlor, populated with Asians, then this is portrayed as another example of those evil white people picking on Asians. A statistic showing an increase in Asian assaults frosts that racist cake.
But non-Asians and non-females were also targeted. While assaults on Asians are increasing, 70% of attacks on Asians are young Black men. But if you leave that context out of the news story, people can draw a false conclusion. White people are not killing Asians because a worldwide pandemic started in China.

41 - 60 of 102 Posts