Viola flower starts

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Linda Camello, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Linda Camello

Linda Camello Well-Known Member

My sister has some violas growing in her flower bed that I just love! How can I get some of them for my own? Seeds??? Starts??? Anybody have any ideas about this? Thanks for your help! (I can hardly wait to get them!!)

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Take a little shovel and dig up some plants then move them. get the dirt with the roots as much as possible. Water them real well for a while after they are reset. They are tough little buggers.

3. Linda Camello

Linda Camello Well-Known Member

No Uncle Will.....you do not understand. I have to leave my sister's flowers there in her bed! I just want to get some starts of of those same violas to put in MY own flower bed? That's what I need to know how to do. Do I wait for seeds??? Do I break off a stem & try rooting it? Or maybe I should bury part of a stem under the dirt next to it & see if it will start there? Does anybody have any ideas??

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

They grow from seed. You could buy a packet of the color you like. Collecting seed from your sisters plants may be possible, but it seems like it would be tedious work, as the flowers don't all bloom at the same time. So you don't think Sis would approve if you dug up her flower bed? I wondered about that myself. You know how womem are about their flowers.