Vintage Stove conversion

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by missyinohio, Mar 21, 2005.

1. missyinohio

missyinohio Well-Known Member

If this has been covered before, please forgive me. I know that many times before the subject of converting stoves from natural to propane or vice versa has been discussed. Newer stoves you can just flip a switch, but older stoves sometimes cannot be converted. I've located something that can solve this problem.
    It is a valve that you hook up on the gasline leading into the stove, and you change it's setting to propane or natural and it regulates the pressure.Antique Gas Stove conversion Valve I have a vintage O'Keefe and Merritt that we had restored and used when we lived in town, but after moving to the country and being on propane, it's been in an outbuilding for almost 8 years. I am excited to be able to move it back into the house. After having to recondition it again :(

2. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

We now have a 1920's gas stove in our kitchen and have been using it for probably 20 years now. Wehn the gas guy came out to give us the propane tanks he made it for propane at the time. It wasn't any big deal to him and didn't even charge us to install that "switch" or whatever or the tubing either or the stove or to the hot water tank. Guess those days are gone forever. I think probably any propane gas company could have done this for you at any time. Enjoy your stove..we do !!

3. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Oops !! Forgot to ask this !! Way do you have to re-condition it ..again ?? Did the mice or damage occur to it. Can't you just dust it off and hook it up and cook again ??

4. missyinohio

missyinohio Well-Known Member

It's been kept in an unheated building all this time. That means that the chrome has rusted (again) in places. The valves need to be regreased. The pan under the burners had rusted and I'd wire brushed them and put that "stop rust" stuff from the auto parts store, and then painted with engine paint. But being in a damp environment, it's re-rusted anyway. So I do have a bit of work ahead of me to get it operational again.

I dealt with my propane company when we moved, and the man checked the stove and said that with this model there was no real way to convert from natural to propane. There were no switches to flip, etc to make the change.