Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone drive a vintage car? My husband and I used to have a 1965 Ford Falcon that we drove around until some crazy lady ran into me doing an illegal turn. Now it is in my father-in-law's garage back in Louisiana. But I loved it!
I am about to put my 06 minivan up for sale to dump some debt and plan to buy another car for cash. My top pick is a 1980's Jeep Grand Wagoneer because my very first car was a station wagon. Have always wanted one since. So what is your favorite nostalgic car/truck?

·
Registered
818 Posts
We have a 1939 Ford Coupe ( not quite running yet) 1931 Ford Model A tudor Sedan (running and fun to run around in) 1929 Ford Roadster (needs a little work yet to be road ready) and a 1965 Chevy Pickup which is fun to drive. These are all drivers and not too cherry to put out on the highway. The old cars are sooooo fun and soooo nostalgic. You just feel like you are 17 again when you are in them..

·
Registered
647 Posts
Had a 1972 Chevy 1/2 ton 4X4. It was Factory 4x4 had wood bed
It was a Great truck wish I had kept it

dale

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
My daddy had 2-55 Chevelles, 1 48 Chevy PU truck and a 69 El Camino. My first car was a 69 Mustang and my sister's was a 68 Cougar. I love vintage cars. My dream car is a 55 T'bird, hardtop convertible.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
1965 Buick Riveira. Clam shell head lights, wrap around bucket seats in the back, wire wheels and a 445 wild cat engine under the hood. Midnight blue with a white landau roof and I cried when the drunk ran the stop sign. There will never be another for me but while we were together it was magic.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
When my husband and I married in 1983 he had a '66 full pony Mustang, a '66 T-bird and a '49 Ford Truck. He tells people I married him for his cars.

Twenty six years (and three kids) later we still have the Truck but don't drive it right now. Sold the T-bird when we needed money. Someone hit me when I was driving the Mustang and then we lost it in a barn fire.

We also have a '29 Tudor Model A that we drive in the summer. Our other "thing" is tractors. Our kids restored a CC Case. We have an Alis-Chalmers crawler, a couple of old Fords and I can't remember what else.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
I drove and loved a 62 Studebaker Lark until I could no longer care for her int eh way that she had become accustomed. Still breaks my heart that I ahd to let her go.
I want another soooo badly. I was the car and the car was me.
And I ahd a 76 Catalina, though not as old.. a great car. It was a land yacht! Drove so smooth and sexy.. just floated over the road. We used it as the 'friend mobile'. Yes, we and 8 of our closest friends could pile into it for a quick trip to the Outer Banks. 8 people and you still had elbow room!
But it was no Studebaker!! My most favorite make of car in the whole world!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
'59 Chevy Bel Air, mostly rebuilt, about 85% complete. Hopefully will get time this year to finish it up. It's far from factory perfect, but it will be fun to drive around :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1965 Buick Riveira. Clam shell head lights, wrap around bucket seats in the back, wire wheels and a 445 wild cat engine under the hood. Midnight blue with a white landau roof and I cried when the drunk ran the stop sign. There will never be another for me but while we were together it was magic.
This is inspiration. I think I want to write a song. My mom graduated high school in 1965. I hear about that year all the time. I was born in the wrong generation.

·
Registered
184 Posts
We've got a 68 Ford F100, a 55 Chev and a 52 Chev truck that we chopped the front end off of and put a 72 Nova front clip on it now it has power brakes, 350 engine, power steering and a Cadillac telescoping steering column. Kinda reminds you of the old Johnny Cash song. Gary

·
East Central MN
609 Posts
I have a 1956 Golden Hawk getting a frame off restoration right now. My dad bought it new off the showroom floor in 1957. He stopped driving it in the late 1960's. My mom and siblings don't know that I'm having it restored, I'm just going to drive up in it to the family re-union in July of 2010.

I also have a 1946 Studebaker truck that turns over but doesn't run. We'll jump into that after the Hawk is done. Right now it sits out in the corner of the yard and my wife hangs potted flowers from it. Basically it's a lawn ornament.

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
We have a '78 AMC Gremlin--all original down to the 8 track player that works! Fun to drive but impossible to get away from the gas station where everyone wants to come up and tell you about their Gremmie. Our son found it out in Kansas while working on a road crew...sitting out in some farmers' field but started right up...so he drove it home and our wonderful neighbor Harry got it all tuned up. Harry was a mechanic since the 30's and he could fix anything; oh, we sorely miss him. DEE

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
Favorites: 68 Road Runner and 62 Ford Ranchero.

The RR was my 1st car that I purchased. I do have a 69 waiting to be restored.

The Ranchero was my grandfathers last truck and I recieved it in about 1985. I'm researching doing an electric conversion on it.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
We have a '78 AMC Gremlin--all original down to the 8 track player that works! Fun to drive but impossible to get away from the gas station where everyone wants to come up and tell you about their Gremmie.
:bouncy: Oh I Loved my old little Gremlin! :bouncy:
Best car I ever had. Baby blue with a white hocky stripe on the side. ;)
I had a carborator problem and had to start it using a plastic army guy I stole from my little brother. But I still loved it.
I also lost it to a drunk driver.

·
Registered
322 Posts
White Wolf, I have a 69 Road Runner, red, 383 engine, white interior. Love the thing.
It’s showing its age, needs a new rear end. But it’s fun to drive when I have some extra money for gas :bouncy:
My 2 most favorite things are the horn (beep beep) and the wind wings (instant air conditioning).

Kris

·
Registered
468 Posts
A 1968 Buick Electra - 4 door, metallic blue with black vinyl roof; dual Rochester carb with a 435 v-8 engine. What a dream to drive. I just loved that car. I cried when she died. Her name was Bertha!

Limey

·
Registered
785 Posts
We have a 65 Tbird in the garage, and spouse just got another truck to replace his, 1976, 77, 78, (but more 78 all the time) Chevy pickup, that he has driven for 27 years.
Also have a 1980 Pontiac bonneville waiting to get redone. It's going to be a classic too.
Two door hardtop with chopped back window. Did a search the other day and found 2 like it. Both are over 6 k now, in the future will be more, as they are the last of the big pontiac boats. At least, I hope so.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts