Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not particularly interested in old cars - except just out of curiosity to see how they all looked different from the ones today, but when I saw this, I knew I had to share it.

My father-in-law was sent a link to this by a friend of his and passed it on to us. At first I thought it was just going to end up being an off-color joke or something (his friend is known for forwarding those!) but it turns out this is a legitimate story. It is also INCREDIBLE! :bouncy: But go see for yourself... here's the story (link below that)...

Whats in the barn??

A New York man retired, wanted to use his retirement money wisely, so it
would last, and decided to buy a home and a few acres inPortugal.

The modest farmhouse had been vacant for 15 yrs.; the owner and wife
both had died, and there were no heirs. The house was sold to pay taxes.

There had been several lookers, but the large barn had steel doors, and
they had been welded shut. Nobody wanted to go to the extra expense to
see what was in the barn, and it wasn't complimentary to the property
anyway......so, nobody made an offer on the place.

The NY guy bought it at just over half of the property's worth, moved
in, and set about to tear in to the barn.......curiosity was killing him.
So, he and his wife bought a generator, and a couple of
grinders.......and cut thru the welds.

What was in the barn...............? Go to,

www.intuh.net/barnfinds/afa70.htm

I sure wish I had bought that barn!!! :Bawling: Oh well - that's just how the cookie crumbles, I guess.
:shrug:

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
I can't get your link to work, did see this a couple of years back. A massive collection of very old cars in prime condition.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

Quite a haul if the story is true.

The "barn" looks more like a large factory building.

RF

·
Registered
785 Posts
Speaking of old cars, for the next 10 days, Reno and Sparks, NV, are having what is called "Hot August Nights". This is just about the largest gathering of old cars in the world.

Only cars that are pre-1972 are allowed to register, and they only allow 5,000, to register. A lot of people bring their cars anyway, and there will be about 7 to 9 thousand of them all over the area.

It is a nightmare for the locals, but is really something to see. The whole town goes ape for the '50's look, with poodle skirts, sock hops, and lots of great old bands.

It's really worth seeing.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Mine's not ready yet!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Fake or not, I cried when I first saw that, because of the poor condition of most of those cars. The rusted Karmen-Ghia (?) sitting on it's rims was the worst. Judging from the car behind it, the roof may have been leaking, because that looks like fresh rust. This reminds me of the mechanical equivalent of a 'cat lady' who has so many cats that she cant even begin to care for them. From the droppings on the cars, there are birds in there with the cars. More than likely there are rats as well, gnawing on the electricals and nesting in the seats. I wonder how many of those cars are too fargone to ever be driven again? Many of those cars were originally beautiful works of art, and to lock them up in a barn and let them deteriorate like that is almost criminal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts