Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I got a nice vintage afghan for $10 from my deceased neighbor's estate sale. He was 101 when he passed so I'm not sure how old this afghan is but it is really dusty. Any ideas on the best and gentlest way to clean it? I've had it out on the line all day and beat it too but dust is still coming out. Thanks all!

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Can you tell what it is made of?

You could try simply soaking it in a tub and then drying it flat until you know what it will do when it encounters water.

Lots of vintage afghans are made out of acrylic or nylon or a blend of some sort. Some (especially for some reason granny square ones) were made of cotton.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't tell Kas all it has is a tag saying handmade especially for you. Thanks for the tub idea! I will take a pic tomorrow, this isn't a granny square one, although I love those too.

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
If there is a piece of the yarn you can snip off you can do a burn test. If it melts it is synthetic if it won't burn it is wool, same with cotton, they are both self extinguishing. If it is synthetic you can toss it in the washer and dryer. If it is wool or cotton you can still machine wash in the most gentle cycle, if you have access to a frontload that would be the best. Otherwise you are best doing as Kasota suggests. I'd soak it in the tub with some shampoo or soap gently swish it, then squeeze as much water as possible out, roll it in a towel to get more moisture out. Lay it flat to dry or if you have one of those wool clothes drying racks you can drape it over that to dry.

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
I have a number of natural fiber handspun woven afgans . I clean them in the washer,cold fill, slightly aggitate and cold rinse,spin.Flat dry. They do not felt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts