viney over-growth

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by MELOC, Jul 22, 2006.

1. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i have a vine plant growing wild and it is very prolific and has covered some trees. it seems to be trying to take over, much like kudzu in the south. i live in south central pa.

this vine has a woody stem and a dark green and normally shiny oval shaped leaf. it has very crude "thorns" on the stem. the thorns are not very jagged but if you grab the vine and pull, they can get you. the vines like to twist around one another, giving low lying vines support for itself and an almost schrub-like appearance. as i said, it's growth is very prolific and has totally encased at least two trees. it is growing over some of my blackberry brambles and ticking me off.

2. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

Smilax?

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

virginia creeper??

4. MELOC

5. tillandsia

tillandsia Well-Known Member

The first vine is Celastrus (bittersweet). I'm working on the second one.

6. tillandsia

tillandsia Well-Known Member

Second vine is Polygonum perfoliatum.

7. MELOC

thank you tillandsia.

the bittersweet seems to be sold by some folks for landscaping and for bird habitat because of the fruits. one site stated that folks either love it or hate it. i guess i fall in the latter category, lol. i recommend against planting this stuff...however, if anyone wants to buy some...lol. one of the sites also suggested it is a good source of vine for crafts.

the second plant, mile-a-minute, really lives up to it's nickname. it can grow six inches per day. virginia considers this an invasive, especially in meadows, as it can destroy rare, native meadows plants.

8. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

sounds like a good stand of devil's shoe lace. I dislike them, my favorite weed to dislike. My garden is full of them and in the woods there are regular curtains of it. I have pulled it out of the trees in piles. well, good luck, One ray of hope, the goats seem to like it.