Vines: Bittersweet, honeysuckle, Virginia creeper

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by zealot, Sep 26, 2006.

1. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

I need to know about some vines and how to start them. I collected the bittersweet seed in early winter, so they have already been stratified. The Japanese honeysuckle grows around our house here, and it too has berries. Do the seeds need stratification?
    And as far as the Virginia creeper ("Leaves of 5; let it survive"), does it grow from cuttings? If so, what time of the year do you cut? I have tried seed germination of Virginia creeper and the seeds didn't grow; I have only so far been able to transplant small plants. I wondered if cuttings will grow the plant, as some vines do.

2. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

oh my, bittersweet...my greatest enemy on the homestead. that stuff is taking over fields and trees faster than anything. be careful with that stuff!

are you growing it to sell or to make crafts from? i bet i could send some roots that would survive and grow. i cannot get rid of it! i have 3 full sixed trees that look like they have been invaded and conquered by kudzu.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

oops...sorry about the size. i will fix it here shortly!

------------------------------------------------------

there we go!

4. Tirzah

Tirzah Well-Known Member Supporter

Meloc,

I would be interested in purchasing some Bittersweet Roots from you if you have enough to share! Seriously. Please let me know.

5. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

American bittersweet is different from Oriental.

6. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Holy cow!!! (bittersweet) My vines are 15 years old and nowhere near that huge! Mine are American Bittersweet though. Don't survive transplanting very well either. Virginia Creeper forms roots wherever the stem touches the soil. Stupid stuff sprouts from seed all over in my gardens. As for the Japanese honeysuckle, DIE STUPID PLANT!!!
    http://www.fcps.edu/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/mpages/japanese_honeysuckle.htm

But then I am fighting a losing battle against it. It transplants very well.

Most people hate my favorite vine:
    http://www.floridata.com/ref/c/camp_rad.cfm

This one does well if you can mow off the little sprouts the roots send up. I prune mine every fall. It just got chopped to the ground because the neighbors tree fell on it. Trellis got crushed and had to chop it down to remove the broken trellis. It will be back in the spring.

7. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

I once transplanted a honeysuckle and thought it had died, but kept watering it for a week or so "just in case". When I was almost ready to stop watering it, SURPRISE!!! A new pair of tiny, little leaves had sprouted at the base of the vine.