Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Use to be we had a pretty good view from here,but trees have blocked it other than in Winter.

At the Cabin trees all around can only see across the road.No view of anything.

Trees make things quiter and cooler.View just the same as flying from point A to B.Both are nice.

Which do you prefer?

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
I prefer a little of both, but if it is a view, I don't want to see the backside of a sub-division. While growing up, we could see two houses from our farm. One was a half mile away on another hill (like our house was sitting on). The other was a few hundred yards down the road, but we saw the back of their barn, not the house, meaning we saw more cows and mules than people. That wasn't bad at all.

·
Premium Member
18,017 Posts
I've always been a proponet of "owning your view." In other words, if you cut down all of your trees, and all you see is land, and you own all of that land....great! Cut down the trees. But, if you don't own that land, someday your view may become that of a neighbors junkyard, or commercial chicken barns, or a freeway, or a Wal-Mart. So, if you don't own that view, my suggestion would be to stick with the trees.

·
Black Cat Farm
1,357 Posts
What Cabin Fever said. And more than that, there is a new subdivision slated to go in down the road from us - we can't see it from here because of existing trees, but the subdivision is bordered by a large area that is mostly prairie/wetland private nature preserve that we have permission to access. Along the boundary between the subdivision and preserve is an old farm fence that already has some volunteer trees growing up along it. I have plans to do some guerilla tree planting there to help "develop" that hedgerow, with hopes of blocking out the view of the subdivision from our road and muffling the future subdivision noise. (I will use native tree species so I don't disrupt the preserve.)

Trees, trees, more trees! :hobbyhors

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Big shrubs and bushes also. They grow fast and block out nosey folks. The better ones have wicked thorns.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
well, i want the view , and i need to thin the trees, so im cutting down the cedars, and opeing up a view if the front of the house only, thinning out everywhere else, thick behind the house separating me from the road.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well use to be you could look to the East and see about 3 miles to Winchester Gap,look to the South see across Whiteoak Holler,look to the West about a mile see John Tuckers place.

People that came back here,drive through the woods,get out,first thing they would say it oh my you have a view.

But woods haven't burned and I have no more Stock.This time of year if I look just right,to the South West I can see the Lane and back corner of my property.

big rockpile

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
Phantomfyre said:
What Cabin Fever said. And more than that, there is a new subdivision slated to go in down the road from us - we can't see it from here because of existing trees, but the subdivision is bordered by a large area that is mostly prairie/wetland private nature preserve that we have permission to access. Along the boundary between the subdivision and preserve is an old farm fence that already has some volunteer trees growing up along it. I have plans to do some guerilla tree planting there to help "develop" that hedgerow, with hopes of blocking out the view of the subdivision from our road and muffling the future subdivision noise. (I will use native tree species so I don't disrupt the preserve.)

Trees, trees, more trees! :hobbyhors

black willows grow fast.

·
Registered
31,752 Posts
DH & I have conflicks over this. On our land, trees are blocking views from some areas to other areas. So we have trimmed lower branches in order to see across the fields, etc. Have taken down some cedars that were invasive & blocking views & transplanted smaller ones along the property lines to block others views of our property.

But mostly, we like the trees best.

Patty

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
after looking at trees for 35 years, I want a VIEW!!!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts