Video camera recommendations

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by longshadowfarms, Dec 9, 2004.

1. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Looking for a new video camera and have NO CLUE where to start! Our old one was tape but has died. Even if we could get it fixed, I'm not sure we could get new tapes to use in it. I really don't want to spend an arm and a leg since we don't use one a lot. We have a couple of events coming up though that I would really like to tape and are planning to adopt again (probably travelling to Russia) so we really would like to have one our selves rather than just borrow one. We primarily do slow type events, not sporting events. Most use would be outdoor but some would be indoor. Any thoughts on where to get one and what kind? Thanks in advance!

2. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

I don't think you could go wrong with a Sony. I've got the DCR-TR27 (digital) model. It's compact and takes fairly good still shots also. Has the famous Carl Zeiss lens. You can even make a fairly good movie in total darkness with it. They are a bit pricey.

3. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Hello Dear. LOL I have a friend here who has a combo dig camera and video cam. It is a very cool outfit. It's smallish so very easy and convenient to carry around and I think that digital is the only way to go.

You can see your videos in real time right there on a little pop out screen and I just love the thing! She came over and got pictures of my ducks..yes, those dippy White Cresteds too! LOL

Hers is a Sony but I have noticed that in Cosco there are other brands also that are not all that bad in price.

Good luck and fair sailing..........LQ

4. Bob Mc

Bob Mc Member

Whatever brand you get, don’t fool around with anything but a digital. You’ll regret it later if you do. Keep in mind that you will also need an editing program if you plan to edit on a computer. I personally use a Sony camera and edit with Pinnacle Studio 8. Stick with the well known name brands. Cannon is also very good, and I understand JVC is as well.

5. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

How much video can you fit on a digital?

6. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

How much video can you fit on a digital?

normally, 60 minutes in one mode or 90 in the alternate mode. The 90 mode quality isn't quite as good, of course.

7. Snuffy Smith

Snuffy Smith Well-Known Member

Just bought a new DVD camcorder. $499.00 at Circuit City. Recordes everything on a DVD. Then you just pop the disc in the computer and download.

8. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member