Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
486 Posts
Crap, these people are nuts.

I think my family and those who raised me and those who raised them used vicks by the 50 gal drum. We were all wrapped,rubbed down,swallowed, and about everything else with that stuff.
Scare tactics seem to be the rule of the decade !!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Well . I have used it for years, not that using it makes it safe.
Now if I have a baby ferret, I will remember not to use it. lol

·
Registered
684 Posts
Dear gods. I've used it for years. Of course, I put babies to sleep on their tummies, slept in the bed with mine----and put them in actual moving walkers, too.

Someone needs to get a reality check, here......

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
My parents also used it on us. However,I do wonder,as the day my son was diagnosed w/ pneumonia I had used it. His heavy breathing DID start soon after I put it on his chest,too. I did wonder if that had something to do w/ it,but dismissed it.

G

·
Ho Hum..yet another single study proclaiming to the world its "truth"..and this is based upon a single death at age 18 months ( even the manufacturer says don't use it under age 2 years)..and a bunch of ferretts..One sweet toddler dies from severe airway restriction and a "study" is born negating it's use on the other billions of children over generations of use.

Foolishness..plain and simple..

·
Premium Member
27,919 Posts
What child died? The link didn't mention any deaths.

I used it on my kids, especially the one with allergies. Worked to help him breathe better, always helps me breathe better. I can see where some people would have allergic reactions to the menthol and would cause them respiratory distress, but we've not had that problem.

Another thing to stock up on.

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
We used to rub Vick's Vaporub on our babies' faces to keep the cats from stealing their breath.

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
When my mother-in-law gets a chapped nose from blowing it, she puts Vicks on her nose before going to bed and swears that her nose is completely healed the next morning. Sounds like playing with fire to me!

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I've used it alot on my two sons (11 and 4). I also slept with mine and put them to bed on their tummies (I always wondered doctors can't make up their minds about stuff like that) Never had any problems.

·
Premium Member
5,492 Posts
I don't put it on my kids chests or necks I put it on the soles of their feet and cover with socks. Stops coughing in a matter of minutes. Learned that trick from my aunt who is an RN and works with children.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wags,
I thought my MIL was crazy for telling me that but last winter there was a poster on the wall of the doctors Waiting room that indeed said that it on their feet is the way to go!! LOL I'll never doubt again ;)

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I grew up with my mother slathering it on my chest when I had a "chest cold" and in my nostrils when I was stopped up. Ive used it on my own kids too. It opens up the head and chest when a child is congested. But I always use a warm soapy wash cloth to get it off in the morning. If I leave it on, it seems to leave the chest "open" and allows cold air to get in there to make the cold worse. Sounds silly as I type it, but that makes sense if you've opened it all up over night. Close it again when you're done!

·
Dallas
13,903 Posts
It not only was rubbed on me, it was put in a vaporizer and I also ate it as a kid.

I suppose someone somewhere has a problem with it, but I certainly never heard anything bad about it.

Puffs even had a facial tissue with Vicks in it these days.

I see in the article, no mention was made of how many participated in the study nor what the statistical results were, it just mentions 1 child having it used in violation of 2 of the directions on the bottles having some inflamation that got better when they stopped (mis)using it. More "Junk science" reported to sell newspapers.

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
I cant get the article to come up. How old was this child? I was always told by my mil not to use vicks on a babies chest it would take their breath away. They have milder versions for little ones. Years ago they used to have a product called 'Save the Baby' that worked really well. She also taught me that vicks on the feet then socks will stop a cough fast. Bacon grease rubbed on certain areas of a babies face will unstop a nose. Both work.

·
Super Mom and College Kid
462 Posts
I use Vicks to help me sleep. I put a dab on my nose between my eyes and lights out. Thye'll get my Vicks from my very cold and very dead fingers before I give it up.

angel

1 - 20 of 24 Posts