Vicki what tests and who to use??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Sondra Peterson, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

OK after reading one of the other threads I would like to know what tests you will have done this year , when you do them and who or what lab?? It was mentioned milk tests ?????
    Tell us how to collect etc. please. I know this has been covered before but can't find it now. one of my questions is do you know what the state requires of the dairies and who does that testing.

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

For my personal information I run CAE tests on colostrum of all does each year (I don't have dry yearlings) at Pan Amercian vet labs. For animals for sale (all my family milkers, I send in blood to WSU) when an animal is being sold for good money then I take her/him to the vet, have Merry read the tattoos and match the doe/buck to the paperwork, she draws the blood and sends it in, I also give permission for the new owner to call the vet and ask her about my herd managment or anything pertaining to the doe. This keeps me from ever having someone say I pulled the blood myself and could have sent in anyones blood to get this negative test. Starting last year this was all the CAE guarantee I will give, once she leaves my house she is yours....sorry, it's all I can do. I am no longer Wallmart.

I don't run CL tests, I will run it if the buyer pays for the test in advance, out of their deposit, if the test is negative the buyer pays for this test (obvioulsy I am pretty durn sure there isn't ever going to be a positive). WSU also.

This year I am going to find a place who tests for M tuberculosis and do some milk samples of my older girls. May send some blood also, I am just now looking into this.

My first sale of the year, and the first WSU blood tests sent, will also contain at least blood from 1 or 2 infant doelings (usually ones I have presold) out of 2 different dams, who I have previously not ran their dam before (if it works out that way), and run the blood for CAE. This further verifies that I am not pasturising or heat treating colostrum or milk from a negative doe who is really positive....just in case my hypothesis about colostrum testing for CAE is all wet :)

The last two years I have sold does who as older juniors where found to be positive (I did not raise them here other than colostrum and milk for a few days) subsequently when the rest of the herd was tested in both cases, they where found to be nearly all positive, so both my last two sets of March kids where CAE tested blood at WSU for my own peace of mind, and a little ammunition to send to the buyer..."well her sister and 7 half sisters that all had the same colostrum and milk are all negative", in one instance the other sister went to someone on the old board (I hope the board isn't dead really) so I paid for her to be tested also, she was also negative. So this last two years I was sort of forced to test alot more than I normally do, well not forced, just a matter of pride.

I don't do the TB or or or...mostly because in years back when we tested for everything for export (including an abortion panel for a dairy in Mexico), even the trashiest animals that where CAE or CL positive were never positive for anything else, ever and that was 50 to 100 does, once 125, spring and fall for several years. It's a waste of money.

The impact of the internet has given us very saavy goat buyers...with milk customers it's kind of a double edged sword, city folks who haven't even successfully raised a good dog, yet know everything about what I should do with my goats for them to get that gallon of milk....but the Johnnes thing has always interested me with a 4H boy, now a freshman at Texas A&M with chrones, the same family that had a cow die recently from Johnnes. Vicki

3. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Thank you
    Now you say you test the colostrum does it work the same for milk in otherwords a few days later?? Dumb me last year I forgot and heat treated all the colostrum before I remembered.

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Gosh Sondra I am horrid at explaining this. It's about the colostrum being a blood product/immunity and it is also in the udder for about 6 weeks before freshening where milk is in and out of the udder in 12 hours. Dr. Glass Pan American Vet Labs in Texas, spoke to our goat club back when they first started doing the colostrum tests, WSU does this also. I wouldn't use it as a culling tool, but after baseline negative tests on blood from WSU, I think using the colostrum tests are easy and accurate. Vicki