Veterinarian attacking LIVESTOCK?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Xandras_Zoo, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

2. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Wow! :eek: That's terrible! :no:

Years ago, a dog ended up dead in the examining room of a veterinarian up the road from me ... I can't remember the exact circumstances but the owners won a lawsuit accusing the vet of killing it after it attacked him.

Gave me a funny feeling because I used to take my animals to that vet because it it was so convenient, but there was something about him that always made me uneasy ... :confused:

3. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

In order to be "bucked" one has to be ON a horse - what was the vet doing ON a horse? Doesn't jibe with what was happening. Also where was the owner when the vet first arrived? No one goes near any of my animals if I am not in attendance right there! Shouldn't have been using a twitch either - that really hurts a horse's lip/mouth. Still no excuse for the Vet's behavior/actions. Needs his license revoked permanently.

4. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

I can agree with everything goatlady said except about useing a twitch, there are times when it is absoultely needed, our vet had to use a HUGE twitch on my little wild horse to give him shots to safe his life, it was made from an ax handle, {the vet is 6ft plus and built like a linebacker}, it was severe, but it was required to save his life.

5. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Well the vet has only been accused NOT convicted or even been to court yet. So maybe the hangmen's nooce and the electric chair could be poseponed for a little while.

Let's hear the vets side of the story and let the jury decide on the real evidence brought out in court room. Don't convict on just hearsay and one sided acusers statements who have never been cross examined by the lawyers yet.

Maybe the horse needed to be knocked in the head because it was trying to attack the vet. This does happen many times.

None of us know for sure what happened and why, because none of us were eye whitness to the truth of what really happened ! ! !

We were NOT there ! ! !

bumpus

6. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

"Maybe the horse needed to be knocked in the head because it was trying to attack the vet. This does happen many times."

Uhhh, read this again - Authorities contend that Saltsburg punched another horse in the head and kicked a third horse in the ribs after knocking it to the ground with a punch to the nose.

That is after using the twitch on the first horse to the point it blinded her.

I meant in my original post... if I saw him abusing my animals...

7. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

bumpus, according to the article the Vet was beating on 3 different horses - All 3 attacked him? Don't think so! Anyone who works with horses knows enough to work with just 1 at a time, individually, haltered, and tied someway. The man went nuts, to say the least. thumper., I agree about using a twitch in dire situations, but the article stated the owner was a lady and she was not present until the attack had already begun. I'm sure she would have been present on arrival of the Vet if the horse tended to act up with strangers or was having shots or other traumatic treatment.

8. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Highly suspisious. If there were any validity to this report, there would be other incidents involving other clients. Since these were supposedly seperate incidents, I doubt he would reserve these attacks to one farm. Stricking a horse hard enough to knock it down (if it can even be done) would result in a broken hand. My guess this is a case of a disgruntled client with a vendetta against the vet.

9. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

Well maybe, maybe not, my hubby has done it, he had seen his father do it too. In fact when the horse confronted him, my 10 yr old son was able to punch our problem gelding hard enough to get him to sit back with his rump within about 2 ft of the ground. That horse hasn't tryed it again (granted I think it was mostly suprise that the little guy punched him)

I will always believe hitting an animal to protect yourself, someone else or a child is not abuse to the animal and only rarely is force needed to train an animal. This was toward the end of said horse's time of trying to kill my goats and running down anything smaller than him, way more than a year ago. Since then we have 2 more geldings came here as stallions and all share the same pasture safely with goats and sheep)

10. AndreaNZ

AndreaNZ Well-Known Member

The article states that there were 3 horses, one each on 3 separate farms in 3 separate townships... Maybe he was just finally caught out?

Andrea
    NZ

11. reluctantpatriot

reluctantpatriot I am good without god.

Terra Planet, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    I really don't care who the person is, if they are an animal abuser or one who destroys property, they need to be dealt with using whatever means and methods are required to protect the animal or property.

If someone is trying to kill one of my pets or livestock, that person will bet shot or hit so hard with a blunt object that they won't be moving for awhile, if at all.

I don't let anyone around my animals, or my property, unless I am with them, mostly as a way to supervise the person just in case there is an issue or problem.

A veterinarian that abuses animals violates the creed of a healer: To Do No Harm.

12. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

Both my vet and farrier use a nerve line if a horse gets out of hand. Twitches rarely need to be used and have never been used on my horses. Both my vet and farrier are gentle giants.

If I caught anybody clubbing my horse or any animal with a twitch made from an axe handle, there wouldn't be anything left of him to arrest after I was done. I would give him the same treatment, beat him to a bloody pulp, punch him in the nose and kick his ribs in. Shovel and shut up, no need to waste the bullet.