Vet visit

Discussion in 'Goats' started by pookshollow, Aug 12, 2006.

1. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

We had the vet out this morning, to needle the horses and do various goat things.

Sara and Polly's buckling were dehorned. Sara had horns when we got her at three months, I had a breeder dehorn her in January with a wire saw, but they grew back at an alarming rate. The buckling was born with hornbuds, and when I ordered my disbudding iron, it didn't arrive for a week and a half, which was waaay too late, although I tried. I did him and his sister, but had to redo the doeling - he was too far gone to even try.

Gabriel was castrated (Burdizzo) as I want to keep him as a companion goat for my Nigerian buck - and maybe teach him to pack or pull a cart. :)

One of my little Nigie doelings had an abscessed umbilical when she was about a week old, it seemed to clear up, but then it looked like it might be a hernia. That turned out to be a huuuge abscess, so that was lanced. Glad it wasn't a hernia - that would have been much more trouble.

Sooo, I have three very groggy, unhappy goats lying around the pen - but everything got done finally.

Very nice vet, showed up on time :dance:

2. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I'd watch this...my Nigie/Alpine cross had one of these at a few weeks old. I took her to the vet believing it was an umbilical hernia. The diagnosis was a big abcess, it was treated as such. Guess what? In that same spot, she now has an umbilical hernia that is 2 inches across. I won't be able to breed her w/o a $300.00 operation that may not work. Watch it closely! My vet is good, but that doesn't mean perfect or always right. In our case, it was an infected umbilical hernia, not merely an abcess.

3. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Good to know - I'll keep an eye on it!