Vet Killed my goat!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by hrc8713, Nov 3, 2005.

1. hrc8713

hrc8713 Active Member

I have several goats, but only a couple are actually pets, so on Tuesday,
    I took my goat (a pet) to see a local vet, she had been limping. He said her hoofs needed triming. She gave her two tranquillizers shots AND gas to make her relax. When he gave her the reversal she went into convulsions and died. He really was kinda of callused about it, said there would be no charge, he wouldn't do anything different, never apoligized, and left the room. I was extremely upset, :( as she was more like a pet dog than a goat.
    I have a couple of questions, 1. Does a goat really need all of these meds for a hoof trim? 2. Do goats have a problem with Tranqullizers? 3. Should he be responsible for the cost of replacing her, she was also expecting babies soon.

thanks for any advise

2. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

Might help someone to give advice if they knew
    1) Do you know what 2 drugs he used?
    2) Did he know she was prenant?
    3) Did he try to trim before sedating her?
    4) If so did she give him trouble with her feet?
    5) Did he explain the possible complications and risks of sedation to you?
    6) Have you sign a paper stating you such risks were explained and you?
    7) Did you keep the goats body for (can't remember the name for critter autopsy) and to see how many babies she was carrying so you know your total loss?
    8) Did you watch the whole proceedure? Did she not react the first shot?
    Maybe it was not 2 things but more of the 1st if she was not as sedated as he wanted her.
    I am so sorry about your loss. I'm sure you're quite upset.
    Sounds fishy to me he said you didn't owe, all the vets I know explain risks and so you know going into it you could lose an animal to sedation.
    I'm no lawyer nor a vet tech.
    So sorry about your goat, hope someone on the board can guide you in the best course of action.

To answer your question ANY animal can have a reaction to any sedation, tranq or meds. May not be often but yes, animals die of reactions to things.

3. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

Sorry to hear about your goat. I trim my goat hooves without any drugs. Just put a halter on them and tie them to a wall. Takes a couple minutes and I'm done. Don't know why the vet went with all the drugs! Can't really answer your questions.

Kathie

4. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

I am so sorry this happened to your pet goat. That is terrible, especially the way the vet just walked away from you and the situation.
    I don't know about goats having a problem with tranquilizers but I do know that we trim our goat's hooves here on the homestead. Sometimes they don't like it but we just sort of "man handle" them. There has never been a need for sedation of any type.
    I hope someone else comes along with more knowledge. I personally would go after the vet for, if for nothing else, the way he responded to the death of your pet.

5. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry for your loss. My sons buck had to have his horns surgically removed. The vet had to put him under to do it. He told me that goats are highly sensitive to anesthesia. He said he was only using enough to put a cat under. If you based it on their weight it would be way too much. Even that was alot for him. He liked to never woke him up. He gave him I believe 3 wake up shots, again, he was only using small doses. Obviously your vet did not know much about goats. I can't imagine having to put a pregnant doe under to trim the hooves.

6. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I trim my goats hooves just before breeding, and then not again until after they kidd, stress can cause many things, so nevr take the chance.
    I put them on the milk stand, and tye them , and cut their hooves. easy as that.

7. hrc8713

hrc8713 Active Member

He never said anything about any possible reactions nor did he have me sign any papers. She was a little restless after the first shot when he began working on her, but not so I and my son could not hold her for him, but he gave her the gave the second shot and gas. He did say he based the drug on her weight. He knew she was pregant, very evident and we talked about it when he first examined her. The thing that really got me was the lack of response when she started having convlultions, I had to point out she had stopped breathing.

I realize that any living thing can have a reaction, it just seem overkill to sedate her a total of THREE times. Even worse, the vet techs just looked on while he worked on her, but no one helped. One of the other docs asked him to help with a dog WHILE he was trying to revive her! Also, he did not even try to give her oxgen. That vet, looked at her and said "goats, always looking for a a place to die". When he DID ask for a needle to give her the ephie, the needle was too short, and he did not get it into her heart.

He is large animal vet. but I just could not understand WHY he would sedate her for triming hoofs.

I guess I would not be so upset if he had been compationate, and if she were not a pet.

I sent him a letter, going over all he did and how I think he killed her because of his Incompetance and asked him for the cost of her and the babies she was carrying. It is not the money, but I want to make sure he understand I am not dumb and I know he messed up. It is a small community and I will let EVERYONE know NOT to use him.

While I have a lot of chickens, goats, geese, lambs, etc, few are the famly pets and the vet's attitude and her death really got me upset. It just a waste with anything dies for not purpose. :bash:

thanks for all your replies.

8. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

From everything you describe, which is all I can go on, I see this as a case of malpractice. It sounds to me like the drugs were used to make life easy for the vet, but goats do NOT need to be tranquilized for a hoof trim. Now perhaps he could defend this by saying he didn't want to cause stress on a pregnant doe, which theorectically is true, since a kicking and fussing mom to be could potentially harm the kids. But if you say she was able to be held, then the drugs make no sense, especially on a pregnant mom. Surely this vet being a large animal guy should know goats do not handle anesthesia well at all, and to risk this on a hoof trim seems to fly in the face of "first do no harm." I have heard many incidents of vets who believe goats have little value and this seems to influence their treatment. The entire event you describe, along w/ wrong needle and abhorrent conduct might be enough for you to bring a malpractice suit. I truly don't know enough if you would have a case or not. I'm sure your letter did not put him in a better mood! This is why I trim hooves right before breeding so when I do them next it will be a brief and easy job during pregnancy. I am so sorry you had to go through this - what a nightmare to lose animals this way! I'd love to see this case on Judge Judy! To answer your question I would tend to believe yes, the vet did kill your goat.

9. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

I am really surprised he felt the need to sedate a goat just to trim the hooves. Is he familiar with goats? Sounds to me like he really screwed up. Not sure exactly what you can do other than sue.

My only real suggestion for the future is to learn to trim the hooves yourself. Trimmers are cheap and the internet has lots of good descriptions and pictures. Just takes patience and practice.

Goats seem to be a mystery to most vets in the US since many rarely see them. Best to gain as much knowledge as you possibly can to do most of the vet work yourself. Protects your animals and saves you a pile of money.

I'm very sorry about your loss.

10. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

I am SO sorry about the loss of your sweet girl. :confused:

I want you to know that although we have only had goats for a little over a year, it only takes 3 of us to trim the hooves of a WILD goat. We bought a HUGE Boer goat (my hubby said close to 200 lbs) whose feet were in TERRIBLE condition. She was not used to people so my son held her head, my husband stood behind her and kept her from backing up, and I trimmed her feet. NO MEDICATION, NO EXTRA STRESS.

I hope you can make the vet pay for her and the babies so that he will be more careful in the future, even though it won't bring your girl back...

Take care,
    Rachel

11. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

That's been my experience as well. Vets either want to treat goats like sheep, in which case they end up mineral deficient with all sorts of odd little symptoms, or like cows, in which case they get way to much anasthesia for any sort of procedure.

I'm really sorry about your girl. It hurts to loose a pet so needlessly.

12. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I'm really sorry to hear about your goat. Some vets can be very callous and uncaring.

13. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

I worked for a vet or 2 in my time. The reason he sedated that goat was to charge her for sedating the goat. How much can you charge for a hoof trimming? NOt much. If he owned the practice, I would suspect he went for the sedation for the extra $. It's such a shame. If he does not respond properly to your letter, I would deffinately expose him. Write your local paper in a few weeks if you get no response from your letter. Its a shame so many vets these days are so $ hungry. MAKES ME MAD!!!! That was the reason I left the last vet. They "made a few changes" , seemed like stealing from their clients and they just wanted more money. Most of the time they get away with it, sometimes you have an outcome like this. so sad =(

14. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Goats can be trained to stand, all of mine exept the babies stand for it. Even the untame buck. If i have to restrain them i push thier noses into the fence and then use thier leash to strap them in, painless and easy.

15. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Sorry about your baby. Did you think about posting on the Homestead thread? Maybe you can find a lawyer or someone with something simular that doesn't normally read the goat post?

My experience is with disbudding. The first time the vet sedated the kids...actually, they became sedated after the burning was done, then I spent the afternoon watching them so they didn't fall over and came out of it okay. Now I tell the vet, just do it and hold them for him. Done and over.

He has now informed me that goats are not livestock, but pet animals so he will no longer be handling them. Not livestock :shrug:

16. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Uh huh. And when did you last milk your pet cat? I've never heard of commercial dog dairies - have you? :confused: Sounds like you need to find another vet.

17. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Cool, tell that to my insurance guy!
    And very sorry for your loss. It's bad enough to lose one when there's a good reason.
    Ruth

18. Home~Maker

Home~Maker Urban Homesteader =0)

I'm sorry to hear about your goat. It sounds like the vet had no clue what he was doing; like over-sedating a dog to clip its toenails. I say, if the letter does not get a response within a week, file a malpractice suit, or at the very least threaten to. I'm fairly sure you can actually hire a lawyer to make the phone call for you, and make the threat on your behalf. I wouldn't call any newspapers without talking to a lawyer first; otherwise it's just your word against his, and it could backfire on you (he could actually sue YOU). I hope things come out in your favor; keep us posted, okay?

19. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

A vet killed my dog, I reported him to the state vetrinary board. He had had complaints before and also acted cold about the death. Did give my my money back, big deal, I lost a good friend. Anyway every state has a veterinary board, find yours and report his malpractice. I am a nurse and live/work by this rule: if you don't know the med or know how to use the med, don't give the med! Sounds like a possible case of oversedation and sebsequent hypoxic siezures, epi alone would not fix this, she needed O2 and resucitation! I'm so sorry for your loss, but I wold not let this go. :eek:

20. mem

mem Well-Known Member

First -- I am sorry about your loss, and the callousness that you perceived on the part of the doctor.

Secondly -- How can you folks presume to make medical judgments about what is malpractice? I didn't figure that this group of folks would be the ones looking for someone to blame and take to court. ANY time an animal of ANY sort is sedated/anesthetized for ANY procedure, there are associated risks, and death is among those risks (one of the reasons that I avoid surgeries). Because the goat died, it does not mean that the veterinarian did anything wrong. Unless and until we have the education, experience, and training to make the decisions that a licensed professional can make, we are not equipped to judge. And if we have that training, then we don't need to take our animals to the vet. The owner has the right to tell the doctor "No, I don't want this animal sedated". If the vet goes against the wishes of the owner, then there is cause for action, such as contacting your state Veterinary Medical Board.

To the individual that said that the doctor did it just to charge for the shot. That is a blatant mis-statement in 99.99% of cases. Any veterinarian knows that it is unethical, if not illegal, to administer an unnecessary medication. And yes, costs of veterinary care do rise -- it is a business. If the vet can't make a profit, (s)he goes out of business, and we have no one to take care of our critters. And no -- most vets do not make a ton of money.