Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
One got stick in the eye on the river, one bit by a copperhead, one had a dew claw nail went bad, cat knocked out for ear issues, two knocked out yesterday for teeth cleaning, one had a growth removed from her leg. Annual shots for all, blood tests for heartworms, medication for heartworms for six months.
$2018 bucks 馃嵑馃槼

Shazbot!
Buy 2 bottles of Ivermec from 2 different feed stores and alternate them monthly. Give 1/2 cc orally to dogs for heartworm prevention. Much cheaper and been working for us for over 20 years in mosquito infested Eastern North Carolina.

Keep the bottles out of direct sunlight and never let them freeze. Bottles last for 3 years or so. Mine usually get outdated before I finish the bottles with my whole kennel.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Buy 2 bottles of Ivermec from 2 different feed stores and alternate them monthly. Give 1/2 cc orally to dogs for heartworm prevention. Much cheaper and been working for us for over 20 years in mosquito infested Eastern North Carolina.

Keep the bottles out of direct sunlight and never let them freeze. Bottles last for 3 years or so. Mine usually get outdated before I finish the bottles with my whole kennel.

Registered
Knock on wood we have been lucky this year, just basic maintenance, less than $150 for the dog and (4) cats.
So Far!

Reactions: crehberg

Registered

Be aware that Australian Shepherds and other herding dogs have a higher incidence of being allergic to ivermectin and other heart worm drugs. This is due to the MDR1 gene. It causes seizures, among other things, in drug resistant dogs. The above article lists most common drugs that cause adverse reactions. Washington State University has a program that tests for this gene. PM me if you want more information or google it.

I have taken my dog off all heart worm medication due to his seizures when he's on them. And yes, he had heart worm when I got him from the pound (tested negative by the pound). It's an expensive, long treatment. I live in GA, the mosquito capital of the US, and finding alternatives is frustrating.

Registered
LOL; I;d adopt another kid before I'd pay two grand for cats and dogs.

That said, I was sucker enough to feed a stray cat who turned up with three half-grown and wild kittens. After a month all the kittens had quit showing up for feed--they'd never come out when they could see me, and Wednesday of this week I found the mama cat dead under my grill. So, what do I do with an almost full sack of dry cat food?

I think perhaps geese might eat it. I know the neighbor's dog likes it

Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
To treat for Heartworms only, you can get by with 0.1 ML of Ivomec total every 4-6 weeks.
The higher dose will kill other roundworms at a rate of 0.1ML per 10 lbs body weight.

Registered
Generally speaking, it is the "long faced" dogs who are hypersensitive to ivermictin. Most can tolerate irt, and it is an effective wormer. I''ve used on dogs, chickens, catttle. It is prescribed for children here and prevents river blindness in Africa. Good drug.

Premium Member

Be aware that Australian Shepherds and other herding dogs have a higher incidence of being allergic to ivermectin and other heart worm drugs. This is due to the MDR1 gene. It causes seizures, among other things, in drug resistant dogs. The above article lists most common drugs that cause adverse reactions. Washington State University has a program that tests for this gene. PM me if you want more information or google it.

I have taken my dog off all heart worm medication due to his seizures when he's on them. And yes, he had heart worm when I got him from the pound (tested negative by the pound). It's an expensive, long treatment. I live in GA, the mosquito capital of the US, and finding alternatives is frustrating.
yes, if you have a border collie or other herding breed, beware.

Premium Member
Generally speaking, it is the "long faced" dogs who are hypersensitive to ivermictin. Most can tolerate irt, and it is an effective wormer. I''ve used on dogs, chickens, catttle. It is prescribed for children here and prevents river blindness in Africa. Good drug.
no idea what you mean by long faced, but it鈥檚 generally the herding breeds. Which seems simpler.
ETA: looked up long faced breeds (dolicephalic) and there is no link to long faces and this gene.
in fact...most if not all of the breeds commonly affected are listed as 鈥渕esocephalic鈥 or medium faced.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
My beagles littermates came from down the road, the guy passed away so I got another littermate and their dad I think. Anyway they were chained without water or food while the heat index is over 100 here.
Fed some good stuff, crashed out in ac now.

Attachments

Shazbot!

Thanks for the information. I did not know about the adverse effects in herding dogs.

Reactions: Wolf mom

Registered
You all are sure bringing back memories of vet bills of a really pretty and well papered horse that was dumber than a box of rocks that my ex had for me to take care of.

Registered
We work hard at keeping our vet bills down. We order drugs direct from a supplier, and give all shots ourselves. The only thing I use a Vet for is heart worms, and floating the horses teeth.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Turns out the other two are the littermates mom and dad, neighbor said champion bloodlines and sold the pups all throughout the southern US.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts