very thin doe

Discussion in 'Goats' started by kath2003, Jul 14, 2006.

1. kath2003

kath2003 Well-Known Member

While I was clipping hooves today I noticed one of my does seems very boney near her back end just above her thighs. About a month ago, she kidded 9 weeks early and delivered two dead kids. Her sides sort of sunk in after that, now I can feel her bones all up on her back end, she seems to be loosing alot of hair. She eats and drinks good from what I can see, especialy trying to get the dogs food,lol. We do keep her away from that, but she gets a little now and then. Any ideas on something I should check for?

2. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Worms are my first thought. Have you done a fecal after worming to be sure your wormer is working?

3. kath2003

Actually I haven't. I Ivomeced everyone about three weeks ago and they are due for the second dose.

4. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I would switch wormers for the second time. Maybe even worm for tape. Pull her aside when time allows to feed her grain by herself.

Patty

5. kath2003

I will give that a try, thanks,I did feed her on her own this morning, she has no problems eating,LOL.

6. Patty0315

Sometimes they just get pushed aside by the others. Maybe even check her temp to make sure there is no infection going on from the birth.

7. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Worms would be my first thought, too.

Delivery, especially something unusual like she had at 9 weeks early, is extremely stressful on their body and parasites will become active when the body is weakened. This is why it's best to worm ON THE DAY THAT THEY KID. Each time we worm, we do it in 3 separate applications because the
    worms are in 3 different stages of life. The first application kills the adult worms only. After 7-10 days the larvae will become adults, so that's when the second application is done. In another 7-10 days, the eggs have now become adults and so the third application is done.

Clear as mud?

We alternate between Safeguard paste for horses and Ivomec injectable for cattle & swine. You won't find any medications that are labeled for goats, so we must use meds for other species and tweak the dosage.

8. Patty0315

I just ordered some valbazen{do not use in early pregnancy} to try out. I hate the paste as I am to messy with it. Ivormectin is nice and easy but I do not want to over use it either.

Let us know how she does after worming again. I would also reworm EVERYONE.

Patty

9. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Very good point Patty! Worm EVERYONE. Not just the one doe that is afflicted.

10. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Sometimes just delivery alone can cause temporary weight loss. How is her udder? But I agree with the worming. Unless there is some cause and effect for her to kid early.

11. Janis Sauncy

Janis Sauncy Well-Known Member

Lice, too, can be very debilitating, especially in a doe who may, for other reasons, be down in her condition. I like to hit all my goats with pour-on Ivermectin once a year; it is effective for parasites both inside and outside the goats.

12. kath2003

Thanks for all the great advice. I seperated her so she can eat better, wormed them all. Is it ok to get some kind of pour on also for all of them? We noticed alot of eggs on their hair, no live lice, but tons of eggs stuck on them.
    Lynn, her udder shrunk right down real quick.

13. homebirtha

Coming back late to this. I personally wouldn't switch wormers in the middle of a "cycle" of worming. I would do the three doses of ivermectin, then do a fecal 10 days later to make sure it got the worms. If it didn't, you may have to switch to something stronger, like Cydectin.

How are her eyelids? Are they pale? That would be a really good indication that it's a worm problem. Is she a fainter? They tend to be pretty resistant to parasites, so she may need extra watching if she's having trouble with them.

Also, are you sure about your dosage of Ivermectin and her weight? Make sure you're giving enough.

14. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

We recently has a goat die like this...
    We also thought worms and we wormed and re-wormed with a different wormer...nothing seemed to help. We removed this little guy (ours was a little buckling) and placed him in a pin so he could eat by himself and fed him extra. Nothing seem to help. We gave him iron too, just in case there has been a heavy worm load. Like I said, we tried everything. He started to loose hair in spots and looked horrible. Well, we took him to the local vet (that doesnt know much about goat) because he just wouldnt "get up" one day. the vet said he wouldn't live, said it looks like he starved...but he knows us and knows what all the other goats look like and so on and knows that he didn't. Well, he did an autopsy right then and there after he put the goat down, and there was no worms (which surprised him) and looked ath everything. He said that this just happens sometimes...well, I wasnt really pleased with this and did a bit of research and talked to people that I knew...and I ran into a friend and told him about this little guy and he asked me a few questions and all...then he said that the goat probally lost the "good bacteria" in his rumen at some time and when he ate, it just wasnt doing him any good because without the good bacteria, he cannot process the food and he gets no nutrition out of it, no matter how much he ate. Well after really giving this a lot of thought, I remember back a ways and remembered a problem we has with a dog that was chasing him and how scared and such this goat was and I bet dollars to donuts, that he "quit eating" for a few day and we didnt notice. When he started again, then the good bacteria was "gone". It makes me sick to thing about this poor little guy that actually did "starve" because of this. I would call a vet and ask how to introduce new bacteria into the goats system or maybe someone on her could advise you more on this. I obviously didnt know enough about it at the time and still dont. I wish you well, hope your goat gets better.

Belinda

15. homebirtha

Oh gosh, I just had a terrible thought, and I'm sure hoping it's not this, but have you tested your herd for Johne's? It might be something to look into.

16. Mrs_stuart

What exactly is Johne's???

Belinda

17. homebirtha

Here is a link with some general information. It's basically a wasting disease. They rapidly lose weight and die and it sometimes it includes diarrhea.

http://www.johnes.org/general/faqs.html

18. Mrs_stuart

Wow! what a horrible thing. thanks for the link! I sure hope that is not what kath2003's goat has, but it does sound like what mine had. Althought I never saw any signs of diarrhea and the other goats never has any symptoms, thanks for the info.

Belinda

19. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

Kathy tests - but Johnes is a horrible thing. Becoming more commonly seen now with the advent of the internet and shipping livestock all over the place. Thing that hurts the worst is it can stay in the soil - so even folks who had it and culled their stock, have 5-8 years until they really can start over.

There is a mini course offered - through the same link - but here's directly - http://www.vetmedce.org/index.pl?op=show;isa=Course;iid=120984 It is the most thorough yet not 'geek speak' reference out there. Worthwhile for any producer or keeper.

Kathy - how is the doe?

Andrea

20. kath2003

She seems much happier away from all the others. Checked her lids and gums and they look nice and pink. Shes eating and drinking fine. Its definetly not Johne's. My whole herd was tested in Feb. and all negative. She was also tested before we brought her home. Maybe it is just from being pushed aside from the food. She isn't getting thinner so hopefully she will fatten up over the next week or so.