Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past summer I had some volunteer plants that looked kinda like tomato plants as they were upright, maybe a little smaller than an average tomato plant. IIRC they had yellow flowers similar to tomato. The leaves were sort of lobed, and looked most like those of watermelon. What was most unusual was that there were spines all over the plant, even on the leaves. Pretty sure that round, spiny fruit were also starting to form before I pulled up the plants. Also I think there were a few Colorado beetles on them. One more clue: they were growing about where the previous owners had bird feeders.
Most likely not a thistle.
What the heck were those plants?

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
i don't know, but i mistook them for groundcherries when i was weeding and grabbed them barehanded...YEEOUCH! they had thorns that were between 1/4 and 1/2 inch...and i didn't enjoy it one bit! i thought mine had seed heads though...like amaranth. maybe they are not the same thing, but they looked like some sort of solanacae to me.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the spines/thorns were nasty! Pretty sure I had to use leather gloves to pull the plants. And yes, probably solanaceae = nightshade family.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
i see what jerry meant about looking like a tomato. my spikey weed looks like a a ground cherry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts